19.

Jackson drives back to his apartment. It's a relatively quick drive. He pulls into the garage and Raurlin's car is parked in the spot beside his. He walks into the front door and Raurlin is in the lounge cleaning. Jackson leans against the door frame both impressed and amused. Raurlin stops sweeping and turns to Jackson with a bored look on his face.

"Don't start Jax. Last night was great. I want things to be perfect for her. You have no idea how amazing she is."

Jackson holds his hands up and walks in. He starts fluffing up the pillows in the lounge.

"I'm not one to judge. It's not like I made lunch for Sarah to take to class."

Raurlin grins at Jackson "dude...you're so whipped."

"I know. I love being around her, she's intoxicating. Even when she's intoxicated."

"You told her?"

"No. I can't risk that, Raur. Vampires and witches don't exactly mix-"

"-that was then."

"And also what if we become something and I meet my aeturnum?"

"I mean no offence but you have no guarantee of meeting an aeturnum."

Jackson sighs and flops down onto the couch despite the disdain on Raurlin's face. Raurlin sits down beside him and the two sit in silence for a few moments. Raurlin is the first to speak.

"Jax I never thanked you for what you did...You saved my life, again."

Jackson offers a small smile.

"We're in a never ending loop of saving each other's lives, Raur. That's my take on the whole immortality deal. Have you given more thought to finding your birth father?"

Raurlin nods and pulls his phone out his pocket. He unlocks the screen and hands it to Jackson. It's open in a chat between Stellan and Raurlin. Stellan has made the necessary arrangements with the Lycan Alpha to ensure safe passage and stay for Raurlin and Jackson with his pack.

"I haven't spoken to Naomi about it yet. I'm sure she's super freaked out as it is. I don't want her to feel like her whole world is falling apart."

"Her world isn't falling apart Raur but it is changing. You need to be honest with her and give her the freedom to make her own decisions. You get caught up in the fact that she's human and fragile but there is a real part of her that is a vampire. She is made up of the very magick that we are. She's stronger than you realise."

"Her vampirism is dormant. I don't want to push it out of her."

"Would that be so bad?"

Raurlin sighs and rubs at his temples. Jackson can sense that the conversation is causing Raurlin to tense up. He settles into the couch and remains silent.

"How's magick practice going with the witch?"

"Sarah. Her name is Sarah. It went well. Her power is as raw and powerful as Idonea's was. It's almost as if the power is Idonea's."

"She is a direct descendant; it's not that surprising."

"She's the strongest witch I've encountered since Idonea Raur."

"And where is her mind at?"

"She's just discovered this part of herself. Give it time."

"We need to figure it out. If she's strong as you say she could end us all."

"She won't."

"Jax-"

"I said she won't."

It is Raurlin who falls into silence. He shuts his eyes. His mind drifts back to mere weeks ago when his biggest concern was whether he would take the throne. Now he has his aeturnum but he also knows his father isn't his biological father. He wonders if he even has a claim to the throne. But if not him who.

"I could do with a drink."

"Gods yes, please."

Jackson smiles at Raurlin and the two are out the door quicker than the air settling around them. The pub down the road is a quick drive with the windows open and the sun beaming. Despite the sudden changes Raurlin decides that life right now is good.

They settle down at a table after ordering beers at the bar. The bartender is quick in bringing the ice cold drinks to their table. They sip in silence both of their minds thinking back to ancient times.

"Hey Jax, remember when we were kids?"

"I was just thinking about that. Man back then we used to think that that tiny village was as big as the world would ever get. I remember the day Sigrid first set foot in the village. Her curly hair flowing wild in the winds that carried her."

"She was a beauty. But absolutely insane."

Jackson chills.

"I remember that morning after breakfast. I don't think I'd ever felt hunger so intense. Tormund...Dad, rummaged through the kitchen and my mother oh she was slowly losing it with him and I. She hid her hunger so well but not even ten minutes later she slaughtered a goat."

The two erupt into laughter. They were mere boys in the prime of their youth when Sigrid cast the spell. Every person in their village was afflicted. They all woke with an insatiable hunger. After Raurlins mother slaughtered the goat she began taking bites out of it raw and uncleaned or unskinned. Raurlin remembered seeing the blood stain her cheeks and lips. It dripped from her mouth.

His father soon joined in the same feast and he held out a piece of the goat out to Raurlin. Raurlin refused it claiming his intense hunger had subsided. But the silent truth was that when he saw his parents haunched over the small carces he knew everything inside him was about to change. From that day something inside him shifted and felt out of place.

Jackson swallows the last of his beer and holds a hand up to the barber who nods.

"She was a wild one. I still remember the little speech she gave."

"You have been chosen by the Gods to fulfil a special purpose."

Raurlin shakes his head, chuckling and his phone vibrates on the table the sound of the glass bottle ringing loud in both their ears. He slides his thumb across the screen and presses the phone against his ear.

"Your Majesty, I was just about to...Stellan...What? When? I understand."