34.

Sarah and Dezra hold hands in front of Raurlin, Jackson and Naomi. They both hold out a hand with a small cut on both hands. They recite the incantation and as they do Raurlin can feel a searing pain behind his eyes and Jackson bends over holding onto his stomach. The black smoke pools on the ground, slightly rises and dissolves. Naomi is stunned into silence.

Sarah sways slightly and Naomi walks to her and places an arm firmly around her waist to keep her steady. She and Dezra performed the same spell on the majority of the pack and few were afflicted but none as intensely as Brody. She was exhausted but she understood her role as the balancing witch in ensuring there would be no further disruption of the wolf pack.

Raurlin settles back onto his feet and soon Jackson does the same. Sarah settles into a chair and shuts her eyes. Her head is pounding. Dez looks pale and tired but she stays standing. Mikain walks into the kitchen and puts the kettle on. The air is cold and stiff.

"Well while we're all here, Sarah and Dez, thank you both for your swift assistance with this matter. Raurlin and Jackson I've been in contact with Stellan and he's put feelers out for the third witch. Benedict is arranging constant checking of our parameters to ensure this doesn't happen again. Naomi, my deepest apologies. In my home you were attacked and I can assure you the same will not happen in future. For now I think you need to rest and recuperate."

"But I feel fine. I can help Benedict..."

Raurlin hesitantly clasps tightly onto Naomi's hand and she falls silent. She gazes down at her feet an unfamiliar feeling settling within her. She recovered suddenly from the attack and in fact felt better than she ever did.

"It's been a trying day for all of us," Mikain continues. "Let's call it a night and regroup in the morning."

They all walk upstairs each step causing further exhaustion. Mikain gives a small tired smile before disappearing into his room. The four all settle in Raurlin's room. Naomi sits on the bed cross legged and Sarah sits down beside her.

Jackson and Raurlin sit in the chairs at the edge of the bed and all of them are silent. Jackson clears his throat.

"Naomi, how are you feeling?"

"I feel fine, Jax."

"Good. The shock could just take some time before fully settling in. Raurlin you stay close to Naomi for now. Sarah?"

"I'm fine. I'm drained. The spell really took it out of me. I'll need about a day or so to recover. We need to have a conversation about the third witch but it can wait until the morning."

Jackson nods slowly and stands up, "then that's settled. Raurlin I'll leave you and Naomi to it. Come Sarah, let's get you to bed."

Sarah nods and follows Jackson out the room. Naomi stands up and walks to the bathroom. "Going to shower." Raurlin watches on, choosing to keep quiet.

He sits on the bed and merely listens as the shower turns on and then again as it turns off. Naomi opens the door and walks out with a towel wrapped tightly over her body. She walks to the bed and stands in front of Raurlin. Her hair is dripping onto the floor.

"Naomi, I'm worried about you. I don't think the events of the day are setting in."

Naomi finds herself battling back tears. She wipes at her eyes and Raurlin visibly saddens. He holds a hand out to her. Naomi holds it tightly and her hands are cold. Naomi leans forward and gently kisses Raurlin. The kiss deepens and Naomi gently pushes Raurlin into a lying position on the bed.

Jackson pushes the door open and flicks the light on. He walks in and turns to Sarah and she takes two steps into the room before her legs completely give in beneath her. Jackson catches her effortlessly and carries her to their bed. He lays her down gently.