21.

Jackson pulls into the parking space at Naomi and Sarah's apartment building. The car hums to a stop. The two remain seated in silence.

"I'll run up and get some clothes quickly. Are you coming inside?"

Jackson nods slowly and answers "sure. We're not in a rush. And I should probably explain the mess up there..."

Naomi and Jackson quickly make their way up to the apartment. Naomi digs her keys out her bag and unlocks the door. There is a definitive smell of wine lingering in the little apartment.

The furniture has been moved around haphazardly. There is cutlery all over the kitchen counters. The pillows on the couches are flopped all over the apartment. Naomi remains standing at the door absorbing the mess before her.

"I'm sorry we left things in such a mess. I should have cleaned up this morning."

Naomi simply responds "we" as she walks into the apartment.

She winks at Jackson then makes her way into the bedroom. Jackson's travel bag is sitting on her bed. She smiles at it slightly. It's as if Jackson and Raurlin were always meant to be a part of her life.

The apartment was always meant to be scattered and messy. Jackson was always meant to be so a part of it all. And Naomi was always meant to be with Raurlin.

Naomi pulls a bag out her cupboard and neatly packs her clothes into the bag. She neatly stacks her shoes around the clothes so that the soles are against the inside of the bag.

Jackson begins tidying the lounge. His phone vibrates and he sits down onto the couch then unlocks the screen. There's a message from Sarah and another from Raurlin. He responds to Raurlin's message first.

"Picked Naomi up. At the apartment getting clothes. I'll drop Naomi at ours then come right there. Has Stellan arrived?"

Jackson waits a few minutes and when there's no response from Raurlin he opens Sarah's message. It's a selfie of her eating the lunch he made. She's wearing his sweater. Jackson smiles at the picture. He begins typing a response when Raurlin responds.

"Stellan just got here. Really need you."

Jackson stands up and as he does Naomi walks out of her bedroom. She has two bags draped heavily over right shoulder. Jackson walks over to her and holds out a hand. Naomi hands him the bags. She looks around the apartment with a laugh.

"I appreciate you trying to clean up but you have to live in this now...for now. If I clean up in here I will charge."

Jackson laughs and ushers Naomi to the door. They walk back to the car in comfortable silence. Naomi can feel a slight shift in his mood. The slight change causes Naomi to worry but she chooses not to push the topic.

They drive in silence until they reach Jackson and Raurlin's place. Naomi decides it's strange seeing it in the daytime. It's quaint but definitely not something Naomi would have chosen for herself.

"You're not coming in?"

"Oh no, Naomi. I need to meet with Raurlin and the king. We'll both be home later."

Naomi feels disappointed but she says nothing. She did after all tell Raurlin to let her continue to live her life. Naomi smiles at Jackson and chooses not to push the topic.

They both get out of the car and Jackson unlocks the front door for Naomi. She steps inside and looks around. Raurlin must have cleaned up. She smiles.

Jackson offers a small wave after dropping her bags on the couch and shuts the door. He walks quickly to the car and then stands at the car door for a few moments before taking off.

Naomi lifts the bags and carries them into Raurlin's bedroom. Naomi drops the bags onto the bed and sits down. It's weird being alone in his space without him.

Naomi walks to his desk and straightens the papers that are scattered. She's tempted to read through them but forces herself not to. Once the papers are neat Naomi unpacks her clothes onto the desk in order of day.

She settles onto the bed and looks around the room. There's no denying that Raurlin is clearly messy but he did attempt to clean in the lounge and kitchen. Naomi fights back a smile.

She can't help but wonder what life with Raurlin will be like. She wonders whether they will get married...whether Raurlin would want to. From the time Naomi could first remember Naomi always wanted to get married and have a big family. In a way to make up for the family she lost. To never be alone again.

"Can vampires even fall pregnant?"

Naomi taps a finger against her lip. She pulls out her phone and opens a note that she had made and adds the question to a long list of other questions.

She sets to work tidying up Raurlin's bedroom.

                                                                                                  ❄

Jackson walks into the entrance building of the old age home. There's a cool breeze fluttering through the passageway and an eerie silence. Jackson can hear a collective of heartbeats at the end of the passage. He follows the sound.

Raurlin is standing with a few nurses. There are heavy bags under his eyes and his eyes are red. His cheeks are tear stained. He gently places a hand on the young blonde nurse beside him.

The nurse has bruises on both her arms and a large plaster across her neck. Despite the bruises and injury her hair is neatly tied back and her uniform is without a crease or stain. She is also crying.

Raurlin turns to Jackson as he walks to where the little group is gathered. Jackson holds his arms open and embraces Raurlin in a hug. Raurlin holds tightly onto Jackson battling back tears.

"I never imagined I'd be this sad."

"He is still your father Raur."

"He was...he's too far gone now."

"He will always be your father Raurlin. Nothing will change that."

The two walk to the edge of the quad area and rest on a little brick wall that is closing off a square little rose garden. A nurse follows suit and hands them both styrofoam cups. Jackson smiles a thank you and the nurse walks away.

Raurlin raises the cup to his lips and swallows down a big gulp of the thick red liquid. The red stains his lips. He sighs heavily and leans against Jackson. Jackson and Raurlin had grown accustomed to leaning on each other for strength and support. Jackson offers Raurlin a small smile

"Any word from Stellan?"

"Yes. He's making the necessary arrangements."