43.

Sigrid turns to the wolves and her voice is loud and certain "bring out the half-blood and we will let you all live."

Jackson pushes forward and Naomi follows close behind him.

"This is not a negotiation, Sigrid. Release these men from your spell. I won't ask again."

Sigrid laughs and she faces the vampires.

"One of your own threatens me, the witch who created all of you! You're right Jackson! This is not a negotiation! Bring him out now!"

Sigrid lifts her hands and the trees begin to sway and the snow falls heavier. The wolves begin roaring each in turn and they shift to their half shift state. Adrenalin pushes through Naomi and there's a ringing through her ears. Sigrid drops her hands and the vampires rush forward. Naomi exhales and she looks around her.

The wolves are running forward and Jackson is making for Sigrid who is walking away, her back turned to the fray behind her. Naomi swallows and she balls her hands into fists. Her feet are carrying her forward, each step is certain. The gap between the vampires and wolves almost comes to a close and for a brief moment Naomi can't believe that this fight is actually happening. She pushes the thought far out of her mind, not allowing it to fully grab hold of her, bringing with it fear.

The windows of a room of the house suddenly burst and shatter outwards in a loud explosion. Just as Naomi lifts her hands to cover her ears there is a severe gust of wind and she is thrown to the ground. She struggles against it. It feels as if the wind has arms and they are keeping her on the ground. Naomi inhales painfully not realising the fall had winded her.

She looks around her and the wolves are on the ground struggling against the wind. She can't see Jackson or the vampires and once realising how helpless she is a deep fear begins to spread within her body. The fear quickly turns to panic and Naomi struggles harder as tears stream down her cheeks.

From the now open windows Idonea reaches a hand forward and she allows a handful of snow to settle on her open palm. She brings it back to the room. She hands Raurlin the knife and he holds it up to his chest and he hesitates as an intense panic suddenly runs through him. He frowns and looks out past Idondea.

"Raurlin!" Idonea snaps.

Raurlin drags the knife across his chest and the cut it creates is a searing hot. He bites down with the pain and then drops his hand into the bowl. He smears his hand that is coated in blood across his chest and he turns to Idonea. She presses the hand with the snow onto the cut and she shuts her eyes uttering an incantation. She throws her head back continuing the incantation and as she does the cut begins to smoke and Raurlin shouts out in pain.

He reaches to either side of him and to his left Mikain takes hold of his arm and holds him steadily in place and to his right Stellan does the same. Raurlin struggles against Idonea doing his best not to move. He shuts his eyes, his breathing heavy. He shouts out again and the shout turns to a roar as fangs drop from his gums.

The cut continues to smoke and Raurlin's skin pulls together and the burning settles just under Idonea's hand and just above Raurlin's heart. He feels his legs go weak but he forces himself to remain standing. Beads of sweat form all across his skin and he shouts out again with the pain. Idonea let's go suddenly and Raurlin drops to his knees. He tries to steady his breathing.

Naomi can hear footsteps approaching her in the snow and she stiffens. Her chest rises and falls more rapidly as the footsteps grow nearer and nearer. They stop just beside Naomi and Naomi squints to see who it is.

"Oh little Naomi..."

Sigrid smiles down at Naomi and she gently pushes hair out her face.

"Things could have been so different if we had met prior to all this. I'm sure you would understand the method to my madness. We could have been something great you and I...but now I have to let you go."