23.

Jackson knocks on the door and after a few moments it swings open. Sarah steps aside allowing Jackson to walk into the apartment. She is wearing a loose grey tracksuit and her red locks are secured in a neat bun. She has no makeup on and she looks exhausted and beautiful.

"Hey Jax. Was starting to wonder if I would see you today."

On the kitchen counter are a few plants and herbs, peace lily and sage. Jackson looks through them with a small smile.

"We doing some natural magick tonight?"

Sarah settles back onto the couch and covers her legs with the throw. There's a reality show playing on TV. Sarah shakes her head as she lifts the glass of wine on the table and sips at it. The glass is large but is only filled about halfway. Jackson lifts the container with food.

"Naomi cooked. She says I must insist that you eat."

Sarah wrinkles her nose and protests "I've already eaten."

Jackson pulls the microwave open and puts the container in, he responds over his shoulder "ice cream doesn't count."

Sarah groans and mutters "she's such a snitch!"

Jackson chuckles and pulls a fork out the cutlery drawer. The microwave pings loudly and he pulls the container out. He empties supper on a plate and walks to where Sarah is sitting. He hands her the plate and Sarah balances it on her lap.

"You were MIA today. I thought we were doing lunch or something after class."

Jackson nods slowly "is that why you don't want to do any magick tonight?"

Sarah shakes her head as she digs into her dinner, not realising how hungry she is. There's silence.

"I have unfortunate news. Today Raurlin's father passed to The Great After."

Sarah frowns "I don't know what that means...he died?"

Jackson nods slowly and Sarah gasps and covers her mouth with a hand, her eyes big.

"Oh my God, is he okay?"

Jackson nods again "he knew it was coming. His father has been sick for sometime. I'm sorry that's why I was preoccupied today."

Sarah shakes her head "no no it's okay. You needed to be there for your best friend. I get it. I'm not refusing to do magick as some sort of protest, Jax. I thought maybe tonight we could just talk."

Jackson nods slowly.

"I am very grateful for the fact that you're here with me helping me adjust and learn. I had some time to do some thinking today and I know that there's this thing between us. I know we both feel it-"

"Sarah-"

"Let me finish, please. I'm not going to sit here and deny the fact that I like you Jackson, a lot. But my feelings don't change what we are. We're on complete sides of the spectrum here. I'm a witch...the balancing witch and you...you're a vampire."

Jackson's head drops slightly and Sarah pauses, her heart pounding in her chest. She continues "I did some reading in the grimoire today. It says that when magick flows freely and strongly it's because there is something coming. I can feel it more and more."

Sarah points at the plants in the kitchen "those were seeds when I bought them Jax. There is an upset somewhere in the balance...or there's going to be and I just don't know what it is yet but I just know that I need to be prepared for whatever it is. I can't be prepared if I'm caught up in the prospect of us."

Jackson looks up at Sarah, a serious look on his face, his eyes dark and gleaming.

"I know what it is, Sarah."

"You know what what is?"

"The imbalance. There's something you need to know."