𝖾𝗂𝗀𝗁𝗍𝖾𝖾𝗇

eliott's pond

         THE TEAM ARRIVE AT THE BRIEFING ROOM, AFTER CITLALI, ROSSI AND EMILY CAME out of the office looking serious

Penelope asks as soon as they enter, "Ok, ok. What's going on?"

"It's Hotch." Citlali says, as Rossi, Emily and herself stand facing the team.

Penelope asks seeing her serious expression, "Oh, my God. Is he ok?"

Rossi says, "He's ok. But he has not been away on special assignment. That's something we had to say as a cover for the investigation."

Penelope asks, "What investigation?"

"Hotch and I saw Peter Lewis watching one of Jack's soccer games." Citlali says waiting for everyone's reaction.

Emily says, "By the time Hotch reacted, Lewis had taken off. The Bureau searched the area, but he disappeared."

JJ asks, "When was this?"

"Days after Scratch resurfaced in Arizona." Citlali says.

Tara says, "One of the victims was chanting his name when we found her. She had "Hotch" carved into her forehead. It really got to him."

Spencer asks, "Why didn't he tell us? We could have focused on finding Mr. Scratch."

Rossi says, "He knows we can't drop everything. Also, he didn't want to worry everyone."

Luke asks, "So now what? They have around-the-clock surveillance?"

Rossi informs everyone, "Initially, yes. Agents were assigned to watch Jack 24/7. But when we were all in L.A. On the John David Bates case, Scratch surfaced again, this time at Jack's school."

JJ says, "Going after Jack takes this to a whole new level."

"Peter Lewis is not going to stop." Citlali says.

"Which is why Hotch and Jack have now entered the program." Rossi adds.

Tara says, "Witness Protection. Oh, ok, uh, wow."

Penelope asks, "But now that this happened, we can drop everything and focus on catching Mr. Scratch, and then Hotch can come back, right?"

Rossi says, "He went away believing that could happen. But things have changed. He's now decided that he can't put himself and Jack in danger again. He just sent in his resignation. I know this is a lot to process." Citlali felt at a loss, they kept losing people in their team. She's losing her people.

Penelope asks, "I mean, yeah, he's a great dad, and this is an impossible job, and we know how much tragedy he's had. He's had enough tragedy. But... Does this mean we're never going to be able to talk to him again?"

Rossi says, "We don't have a choice. It's not ideal, obviously. But as his friends, we have to support his decision."

Emily says, 'The only way for Hotch to guarantee Jack's safety is if they both stay off the grid."