two: essays

Before Deena can even get a word wrote on the paper, the bell rings and everybody gets up and leaves the classroom. She puts her English books in her locker and waits for Simon and Kate, as she can see them in the distance. "What're you so moody about?" Kate asks once her and Simon get close enough to Deena.

"Have fun in English," she scoffs, "Mr. Spotsor is making you write essays about somebody in your class. Hope you two get each other so it won't be as awkward doing it for you two than how awkward it is for me."

"Woahh, woah. Who did you even get paired with?" Simon asks. Deena stares at him, pure anger in her eyes. But it wasn't at him. Simon and Kate knew that when Deena was that angry, she would just combust, as she had all that bottled up anger from previous times kept up in her, and eventually, once she reached her breaking point, that bottle would spill out, and they both knew more than well to not mess with, or somehow anger Deena more in those times.

But Simon and Kate were confused as to how getting paired with somebody for a stupid essay would somehow anger Deena that much. Unless she got paired with one of the jocks or the homophobic dudes who hate her guts. Who are also usually the jocks, but still.

"Samantha Fraser. Yeah, as in the Sam Fraser. The popular cheerleader everybody drools over."

"Holy shit," Kate says, "Damn, good luck to you," She laughs, Simon joining her. Deena smiles, then laughs, which wasn't usual in Deena's anger moments. They would usually have to leave her alone until she cooled down, but sometimes, Deena couldn't handle being mad and somehow letting that poured out anger spill onto them.

She did once and she regretted it for years, she probably apologized over a thousand times. Simon and Kate were quick to forgive her, but Deena still felt like shit and felt that she just had to keep apologizing. Simon and Kate couldn't blame her for letting that anger spill out sometimes, with Deena's life, and her bottling up those emotions, it would be expected for her to just spill sometimes.

"Good luck to Sam too. I mean, a popular cheerleader who's having to write about an outcast who looks depressed all the time except when she's with her friends? That's gonna be hard to write about. Does she even know you?" Simon asks with his little giggle.

But Simon and Kate still didn't know why being paired with Sam was making Deena so utterly angry. From their memory, Deena also used to drool over Sam. Kate and Simon had a bet, Kate betting that she still does drool over Sam, and Simon betting that she had let her go.

"Fuck you guys, first of all," she jokes, "and I don't know. I know for sure that I know her. She knows I exist, but I don't know if she ever thinks about my existence. We've gone to the same schools since middle school, you guys remember? She was always laughing around at lunch? The girl who fell off the playground and twisted her ankle?"

"Yeah, how could I forget. She fell and tripped on my mashed potatoes and I got in trouble! It's not my fault I dropped my tray!" Simon says, frowning as he throws his hands up. Deena and Kate laugh, Simon shortly joining them.

The bell rings and Deena is headed to her next subject, math. She hates math, even though she got good grades in it. She spent all night some years studying math just so she knew how to do the work. and somehow she's still bad at it.

Her teacher wasn't the nicest, either. She was strict, and always shitted on Deena just because she was a lesbian. She recalls the one time the teacher thought that Deena was studying all the time and getting good grades to make her like her. She cringes at the thought of it. Deena only wanted good grades to make herself feel good about herself, and to be a good influence on Josh.

But on the bright side, she has math with Simon and Kate. And Sam, but the only reason that thought popped in her mind was because of the essay.

She grabs her books and walks to the classroom, taking a seat. She spots Katw, in her seat next to her, but not Simon. "Where the hell is Simon?" she asks loudly, quieting down after the teacher gives her a look. "Went to get stuff from the vending machine. Don't worry- I told him to get you something also. I'm a real one."