five: practice

Kate parked Deena's car, and they all walked in together. She pulls out her books for first period, dropping them on the floor. "Fuck," she mumbles, going down to pick them up until she see's a hand already go down for them.

She looks up and see's Sam, handing Kate the books. "I think you should hold them for her right now," she laughs while Deena rolls her eyes, "how are you?"

"I'm.. fine. thanks to you."

"Really, it's no problem. Glad to help."

"Yeah, uh, could we talk later? Maybe."

"Yeah? why? when?"

"Just— at lunch. in the bathroom."

Confused, she nods and then the bell rings. Deena heads to first class, chemistry. she does her work, class ends, she talks to Simon and Kate by the lockers, she goes to her next class. It's a repeat of that until lunch.

Deena sits with Simon and Kate, bouncing her legs up and down, nervous. Sam sits with the cheerleaders, playing with her fingers.

Deena gets up, walking to the bathroom. When Sam see's Deena walking out of the crowded cafeteria, she gets up, following after. "I'll be right back guys," she says to her friends, but they ignore her, probably not even noticing she had walked away.

Deena stands in the bathroom, leaning against the wall, waiting with her hands in her pocket as she shakes her hand a bit.

"Deena?"

"Sam," she says, standing up right, her stomach dropping, "look I-"

"Please don't apologize."

"I-I have too. I'm sorry for what I said, I didn't— if I overshared about myself, or if anything I said made you uncomfortable, that's what I wanna apologize for. I don't-"

"Yeah, you didn't mean it. You were drunk after all. I mean, who loves a popular cheerleader? Just like the rest of the girls, but labelled as hot."

"I do."

"What?"

"Yeah, um. Nothing."

"Are you ready for play practice later?" Sam asks.

Deena nods, walking out of the bathroom. Sam follows behind her.

"Oo," Kate laughs, spotting Deena and Sam walk out the bathroom at the same time.

"What'd you guys do?" Simon smiles as Deena approaches, sitting down and playing around with the food on her tray."

"Talked."

The rest of the day goes on normally until practice. "You guys gonna watch practice?" Deena asks Kate and Simon, both reply with a nod. They all get their scripts out of their locker and begin to walk their way to the theatre

"We have to dee, we're in the play too. Just a different one than yours," Kate says, following her into the theatre. Deena playfully gives her the middle finger as a joke on the way in, making both Simon and Kate laugh. All three sit down next to each other.

They all watch as Sam walks in the room, sitting in the row across from them.

"Hello, welcome to our first practice of the new upcoming play!" The theatre teacher, Mrs. Jane says, "The first practice will be lovingly fields. If you are apart of that play, please come up to the stage and we will practice. No outfits yet."

"That's you ladykiller," Kate says, and Simon cheers her on as she walks up. Deena and Sam walk up to the stage together, others in the play following.