sixteen: moving out

Waling up to a knock at the door, Simon walks to it and opens it, lazily rubbing his eyes to make it clearer to see.

He didn't expect to open the door to a very angry woman. He was so tired he didn't even notice who she was at first, but after he slaps himself to wake up more, it all hits him.

"Ow! Wait, Ms. Fraser?"

"Where is my daughter?"

Her yelling booms throughout the house, Simon could swear he could feel the floor shaking at one point. His ears ring from her yelling.

He looks behind him and spots Kate, grumpily walking over. Kate was always grumpy when she was woken up this early.

"Simon, what the fuc-"

Simon slaps her on the arm, earning an "ow" from her, but she shuts up and tugs onto Simon's arm once she realizes that Ms. Fraser was there, standing on the front porch or Deena's house, her arms crossed, anger fuming inside of her.

"Ms. Fraser?" Kate begins, stuttering.

"Where is my daughter!? Where is Sam? I know she's in this house, probably upstairs, getting harassed by your friend, the Johnson."

Kate clenches her fist, but Simon holds her back, knowing that punching her wouldn't do any help.

Sam walked downstairs, almost falling over due to how tired she was. But when she spots her mom standing at the door, she feels almost all the tiredness drain from her body as stress overcomes her, she starts walking backwards.

But she runs into Deena, who was concerned at why Sam seemed so worried. She wrapped her arms around Sam, planting a kiss onto her cheek.

Sam just points at the woman who was standing at the front door, Simon and Kate preventing her from coming in. But she pushes her way past them, Simon falling onto the floor and Kate falling onto the wall. She runs up to Sam, pushing Deena off of her.

She falls back on the stairs, hitting her back on the edge. She groans in pain, but tries her hardest to get up when she notices that Sam's mom was pulling her down the stairs, yelling in her ear. And Sam, she looked so sad. A sad she couldn't even manage to put into words.

"I'm tired of you doing this, Samantha!"

Sam clenches her fists, shaking. Because she was scared. Her mom was so much more angrier since she didn't have anybody to spill out her anger on since Sam's father had recently moved out of the house. Sam gulps as she feels a rough slap come across her cheek.

"Leave her alone!" Deena yells, almost falling over as she gets up.

"She's my daughter."

"She's my girlfriend!"

"Sam! Who do you care about more? Who would you wanna stay with?" her mother asks, letting go of her aggressive grip of Sam. And Sam just stands there.

She hated how she had to stand there, with everybody's eyes on her, waiting for her response. She wasn't debating on an answer, she was scared. She was obviously going to pick Deena, but her mom had always been there, even though it was traumatic, it hurt her a bit to walk away.

But then she remembers. She remembers all the times she was yelled at, all the bruises and cuts and scars on her arm, all the traumatic experiences.

And she looks at Deena, and all she can think about is happiness. Kissing her, cuddling her, feeling safe and at home with her.

"Deena."

Her mom stands there, and for once, she genuinely looks sad. Behind all that anger, there were more emotions. There was sadness. Which came as a shock to Sam, who was backing up to Deena. "Are you serious?" her mother questions.