three: darts

The bell rings and Deena storms out of the theatre, script in hand. She runs to her locker, shoving the script in it and slamming it shut. "Looks like somebody had drama class," Kate says, slowly closing her locker. "Come on Dee, it's not that bad."

"Not that bad?? I have to play an openly lesbian character who's in love with a girl in the play and that girl just seems to be played by Sam Fraser, the popular, hot, cute cheerleader. I have to kiss her in front of the whole grade. I have to write an essay about her. I have to be seen up there with the popular girl, kissing her when I'm the depressed outcast who only looks happy when she's with her friends. I have to deal with even more homophobia if I play this role!"

Simon and Kate remain silent.

"Are you okay?" Kate asks.

"Oh yeah, I'm totally fine. Great day!"

"Come on deena, it's not that bad," Simon insists, "It's not like you're gonna fall in love with her and then be in a relationship with her!"

Deena stars into simon's eyes. "Um, why are you staring into his soul, Deena?" Kate asks.

She looks at Kate. "Sorry, what?"

Simon was going to joke about how that it wasn't just the whole grade, it was parents also, but he knew Deena was angry, so he didn't, or he would've regretted it. The bell rings and they all go their separate ways. but then it hits Deena. Next period is history. The class that Deena and Sam sit next to each other in.

"FUCK," she yells into her locker, grabbing her books and walking to the class. Once she steps in, she spots the blonde girl sitting at the desk. She groans and plops her books down next to her, putting her head down on her history books. She keeps her eyes open, staring out the little open spot from where her arms met.

"Hey?" Sam asks, tapping her on the shoulder. Deena doesn't respond. "D-Deena?"

Deena slowly looks up and makes eye contact with Sam. "Are you, okay?"

Deena nods, sighing as she puts her head back down.

"Hey, you know, if you're not comfortable with playing as the love interest I can organize to get it changed. I know it can be, well, weird."

"Nope, it's fine," Deena says, her voice muffled by her clothing over her mouth. She didn't wanna make it a big deal, but she didn't wanna do it, either. Except she kind of did. She wanted to look at Sam and stare into her eyes, as blue as an ocean as she softly kissed her.

But was that so wrong to think of?

Sam nods, sighing softly as she waits for the period to start. "Good morning class! Today, we're gonna be reviewing stuff from last week."

"Simon was right. Is everything a review from last week? Holy shit," Deena groans, thinking she was just thinking in her head, but she says it out loud.

"Huh?" Sam asks, looking at her.

"Oh, uh, what? Oh, shit, sorry. I didn't know I u-uh, said that out loud."

Sam laughs, making Deena flustered.

"So, go find a partner and review with them!"

Deena groans, she always hated working with partners unless Simon and or Kate were in the class. She usually just ended up working by herself, nobody asked to be partnered with her and she never had the courage to ask anybody, if she did want to ask somebody for once.

She looks up, everybody already sitting with a partner. but she saw something that shocked her— Sam with no partner. She locks eye contact with her, a confused look on her face. "Um.. would you wanna be, partners?" she nervously smiles.