eleven: a step forward and eight back

After arriving at school the next day, Deena was appalled by hearing what the jocks were talking about.

"I mean, she's just a basic blonde but she's hot."

Deena felt bad that she assumed they were talking about Sam, but that's how people, jerks, at the school would usually talk about her.

"You see her hanging out with that lesbian? Deena?"

Deena's stomach drops, preparing herself for what they're gonna say next. She had heard it so much, but each time it felt like being attacked. Because every time Deena had the slightest bit of hope that for once, she could be accepted by people for being herself. But no, everybody acted like she was the worst person in the forsaken town of Shadyside.

There were many way worse people than Deena. In fact, Deena was one of the best in Shadyside, though she would never think that highly of herself.

"Yeah. That fucking weirdo," a man laughs, "They're just in a play together, hopefully. Unless Sam's a lesbian also?"

"I don't think so. Even if she is, she'll still let me mess around with her," a voice says. And Deena could recognize that voice, and then it all hit her.

She opened the door, and all the jocks there looked up at her, grins on their faces. "She's hot too."

"Yeah," Deena says, "and she'll never date you."

"Come on!"

Deena looks at the familiar boy, freezing in place. They look around, and the boy just whispers to the other jocks, her stomach dropping as they walk up to her, their fists clenched. She walks against the door, Briar grabbing her by the collar of her blouse and pulling her into the closet.

With a punch to her nose, she already feels dizzy, receiving multiple punches and kicks to her stomach and face. And as she falls to the ground, they switch off the lights and close the door as she lays there, in pain as she bleeds. And Deena just sighs, struggling to move.

Because every time she took a step forward, she also took about eight steps back.

Feeling light headed, she puts her hand up to her nose, blood streaming down it as she passes out.

Walking into second period, Sam was already concerned enough that Simon and Kate didn't see her in last period when they should've, and it just concerned her even more when Deena didn't show up for the other periods.

She kept trying to tell herself that Deena probably ditched class, but she had a gut feeling that something was wrong. So for her next periods, she walked around the whole school, checking every place she could in look for Deena.

Until she found her, bloody, bruised in one of the school closets. She falls down, moving the hair out of Deena's face as she feels herself freeze.

"Deena.. Deena! Oh my gosh, Deena!"

With Deena unresponsive, Sam puts her head in her lap, tears streaming down her face. "Please..."

With her eyes slowly opening, Deena puts her hand on Sam's chest. "Sam," she faintly smiles, but then concern comes over her. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, babe. What.. what happened?"

"Y-Your,"

"What's going on in here?" Simon asks, barging in, stress pumping in his veins as he spots Deena.

"Talk when you're ready," Sam smiles, but quickly it fades off as she looks up at Simon and Kate. "We gotta go back, fuck the other classes."

Kate nods in agreement, Simon joining. Sam helps Deena up and she wraps her arm around the blonde girl, walking to the car. Kate drives, and she just sighs, in a bad mood the whole car ride. "I just don't fucking understand," Kate mumbles, fixated on the road, "I hate it. Seeing my best friend being hurt like that, and it never fucking stops! And it's all because somebody assumed she was a lesbian."