six: rain fall

"Sam, you know that's not tr-" Kate begins.

"No, it is. People care when Deena gets hurt. Nobody would've cared when I did. Nobody."

"We would've, Sam. Deena would've. I know that it can seem hard to believe that people care, but they do, Sam."

They all stood around Sam, until the phone rang. Simon ran over to it, picking up. "Hello?" he says.

"Doctor. Spiffied, hi. I'm calling about Deena Johnson, her emergency contact didn't originally work so I called her home phone."

Simon's stomach drops, anxiety falling over him as he nods, biting his nail. "What about her?"

Everybody looks at each other, concerned looks on their faces. "She's okay."

"She's awake?" Simon asks, his stress quickly turning into relief. "She is, Sir."

"Thanks! Gotta go!" Simon yells, slamming the phone back into the slot, "What're you guys waiting for? Come on!"

Sam sits in shock until Kate grabs her and pulls her out to the car. "Sam, come on!" Simon yells, jumping in the front seat. Sam gets in the back next to Josh, and Kate starts driving, well speeding over. "So, what're you to Deena?" Josh asks Sam.

She looks at him, confused at first.

"Oh, I'm just a um, a friend," she smiles.

Josh nods, sitting back again. Kate does a half ass job with parking Deena's car, but she doesn't care. She locks the door after everybody's out, and they all go running in. They find Deena's room and everybody runs in, relieved.

"Deena, oh my gosh you're okay!" Kate yells as they all sit down. Deena looks around at everybody, her stomach dropping when she spots Sam.

"Sam, Sam oh my gosh! Are you okay?" She asks, reaching her hand out. "I-I'm fine. Thanks to you, I'm fine." She grabs Deena's hand, their fingers interlocking as smiles of pure relief sit on both of their faces.

"Josh, are you okay? Simon? Kate?"

"You could've asked all of us, including Sam in one sentence," Kate jokes, but immediately regrets it when she see's the look.

The look. Basically a blank expression, but her lips pointed down a bit more. Her eyes dark, looking down at her hands. "Deena?" she asks.

"Yeah uh, you know, just wanted to make sure she was okay first because she was closest to it. And I meant mentally too. That must've been traumatic."

Sam looks up at her, pushing locks of hair out of her face. Simon and Kate knew this was a lie. "What really happened, Deena?" Sam asks.

"I- well, what I said but.. when it first happened, when I fell to the floor, I kept thinking you w-were there. That he got you too. And then when you put my head on your lap and your tears were hitting my face, I saw how scared you were. A look of regret on your face, too. Sadness. All in one. And I saw you there, and I thought you were the one who got the worst out of the two of us and you wanted to make sure I was okay before you."

Sam looks at her, her mouth open agape, choking down tears. She just now realized how badly this could've affected Deena's mental state. "I'm sorry."

"Sorry? For what?" Deena asks.

"F-For not helping when I should of. I can't- I was afraid, Deena. I'm so sorry."

"Samantha Fraser," she says, immediately making Sam look up at her, "you did help. You do realize if you didn't run out of that locker room when you did, if you just waited, I might've not been okay? You can't blame yourself for this, so please don't do that Sam. I wanted to be brave. I wanted to, I—" she pauses, not knowing how to word it.