o n e

song: 'lost' by frank ocean

- one year ago -

"All I'm saying is that we have to be careful. With all of these new Kooks moving onto the island, we're gonna be outnumbered!" Pope exclaimed.

"See these?" JJ said, holding up his fists. "These are here to be used. And if any Kook prince or princess tries to come near us, they will soon find out what these bad boys can do."

Genevieve rolled her eyes. She hated all this Pogue / Kook crap. "Or we could just stay on our side of the island and they could stay on theirs?" She suggested as she followed the boys down the familiar trail to the beach where the bonfire was being held.

"You're no fun, Genevieve," JJ groaned. "Besides, we all know very well that the Kooks love to pass through our side of the island. Ten bucks says that some of them will show up tonight."

"Nobody's taking you up on that bet, JJ." John B chimed in. "Besides, if we just stay away from them, nothing will happen. Got it?"

"No promises," JJ muttered, avoiding the glare which Genevieve shot his way.

As soon as they reached the beach, JJ and John B made a run to the keg of beer which was next to the bonfire.

"It's busy," Genevieve observed as she and Pope sat down on a log. Pope nodded in response. "It's the first kegger of the summer, it was always gonna be busy."

Genevieve nodded as she glanced around. She saw JJ shotgunning a can of beer, which surprised literally nobody. "Personally, I think all of this Kook / Pogue rivalry stuff is bullshit."

Pope sighed. "Kooks beat Pogues up to let off some steam. There is a reason that there is a rivalry, Gen." Pope said. This was about the 100th time they'd had this conversation.

"I know that, but surely not all Kooks are bad. I mean, look at Kie!" Genevieve said, trying to prove a point even though she knew that she wasn't winning this debate. "Speaking of, where is Kie?"

Pope looked around and shrugged. "Working?"

The sound of JJ's boots crunching on the rocky sand caught Genevieve's ear as he ran towards them. His arms were full of cans. "Seriously JJ?" Genevieve said with a sigh.

"Just because you refuse to drink doesn't mean that we can't have fun." JJ said, dropping the cans onto the sand in front of them as Genevieve rolled her eyes.

John B sat down next to Pope and took a sip of his beer. "That's good shit," he said, motioning towards his can of beer. JJ plopped himself down next to Genevieve, letting out a shout as he cracked open another can.

Genevieve couldn't help but laugh. "You're ridiculous," she said as JJ chugged down his beer. "Oi, John B!" Someone shouted from a distance. Genevieve and the boys whipped their heads around to see who it was.

John B let out a laugh as he saw who it was that called him. "Ben!" He yelled back as he stood up and jogged down, the other boys standing up to follow him.

"I'm perfectly fine just chilling here by myself!" Genevieve called after them. JJ turned around as he ran and blew her a kiss mockingly. She rolled her eyes and played absentmindedly with the bracelet around her wrist.

Unbeknownst to the group of friends, Kooks were beginning to arrive at the kegger. Topper Thornton was new to OBX, but he was determined to make himself known. He came from money, lots of money. And he made sure that everybody knew that.

Although he surrounded himself with toxic assholes like Rafe Cameron who were always looking to start a fight, Topper didn't like conflict. However, he made sure that his tough facade didn't let it show.

He had come to the kegger by himself, in an attempt to escape Rafe and his posse and to perhaps meet some new people. Topper was  unaware that this was a Pogues-only kegger. He looked around, unsure of where to go. That was when he saw her.