t h i r t y o n e

song: 'softcore' by the neighbourhood

present

The Pogues were in the heart of Kooklandia, at the OBX Movie Series. Kiara had convinced them to go, and they all begrudgingly agreed.

Figure Eight was the last place Genevieve wanted to be. Her conversation with Topper last night had been replaying in her head non-stop, and it made her heart break a little more every time.

Evidently, Genevieve wasn't the only Pogue who didn't want to be on Figure Eight. 'What's up with you guys?' She exclaimed, glaring over at Pope and JJ who had been uncomfortably shifting in their seats since they arrived.

'Nothing's up with us. What's up with you?' Pope retorted, glancing over his shoulder anxiously.

'Dude, just be chill,' Genevieve heard JJ whisper. Those two had definitely done something.

'I just bumped into Rafe,' Kiara said as she came back from the drinks stand, passing them each a bottle of Pepsi. 'And he said, and I quote, "Tell your boy that we know what he did". Care to elaborate, anyone?'

Genevieve's eyes widened slightly, for many reasons. If JJ and Pope had done something to Rafe, they were dead meat. But moreover, if Rafe was here, so was Topper.

.....

'I told Kiara to tell Pope that we know what he did,' Rafe said with a smirk as he sat down next to Topper.

'Kiara's here?' Topper asked, trying to mask the hint of hope in his voice. If Kiara was here, so was Genevieve.

'Those dirty Pogues are probably shitting themselves right now,' Rafe said with a dark laugh.

Rafe had attacked Pope while he was delivering groceries on the golf course this morning. Well, Rafe and Topper. The thought of it made Topper feel sick. He was broken after his conversation with Genevieve last night and, before he knew it, he was pushing Pope to the ground. If Genevieve ever heard what he had done, she would never speak to Topper again. But, as far as Topper was concerned, Genevieve had made it very clear last night that she was never going to speak to him again anyway.

Topper's Malibu 24-MXZ was sunk, in what Rafe and Topper presumed was an act of revenge from Pope. Topper knew straight away that it was the Pogues who had sunk the boat, but his mother had immediately placed the blame on Topper. 'Do you want to know why I think it's your fault, Topper? Because it normally is.' Those words had cut him deep. It wasn't difficult to see that Topper's relationship with his mother was strained, but he had only ever told one person the true extent of it.

'We should jump their asses, Rafe.'

.....

'What the fuck did you guys do?' Kiara said, looking at Pope, who was anxiously scanning the crowd.

'Nothing,' JJ said, shooting daggers Pope's way.

'Founding principle: no keeping secrets amongst Pogues. Tell me what you guys did,' Kiara said, not letting it slide.

'We all know that principle stands for nothing. Besides, we're not keeping anything secret,' JJ retorted.

Genevieve furrowed her brow. What did JJ mean by that? Moreover, who did he mean by that?