t w e n t y e i g h t

song: 'waiting room' by phoebe bridgers

one year ago

'First, we hear that you beat up Rafe Cameron to the point where he was unconscious, and then we find this in your car.'

Topper's eyes fell to Genevieve's cardigan, which his mother was holding. His eyes fell to the floor. He knew what was coming next.

'You've left us no choice, Topper. Sneaking around behind our backs with girls, staying out late, beating up your friend! We simply cannot let all this slide.'

Topper didn't have anything to say.

'You're to go upstairs, write an apology letter to the Camerons, and pack your bags. We're leaving. Today.'

'Today?' Topper exclaimed, speaking for the first time.

'Yes, today.'

'Mom, don't make me leave. Please,' Topper said, unable to stop his voice from breaking.

'No ifs or buts. Go.'

Topper got up and stormed out of the dining room. Bursting through the front door, he started running. He had to find Genevieve before they left. He'd face his parents, and the consequences, later.

.....

Genevieve and the rest of the Pogues were getting onto the HMS. JJ had insisted on making them wait while he ran back to get some beers. They needed to decompress after last night's events.

Kiara and Genevieve had obviously told the boys what had happened, leaving out some details. Like, for example, the fact that Topper had knocked out Rafe, leaving him unconscious, in order to protect Genevieve.

Genevieve hadn't tried to think much about last night, but it was impossible not to. As a result, she had been significantly quieter than normal today, and it wasn't going unnoticed.

'Got the goods,' JJ said, loading the beers onto the HMS.

'About time,' John B muttered, starting the engine.

Just before the HMS began to pull away, Genevieve heard someone run onto the boneyard. She felt her breath catch in her throat when she saw who it was.

.....

Topper, having ran to Genevieve's house to find it empty, chanced his luck and ran to the boneyard. He stopped dead in his tracks when he saw the HMS Pogue pulling away.

Genevieve could instantly tell by the look in Topper's eyes that something was wrong. But if she went to talk to him, the others would find out about everything....

Topper felt time stop as he watched the HMS leave the boneyard. He found himself rooted to the spot, lost for the very last time in Genevieve's eyes. With every second that passed, the HMS grew further and further away, and Topper's heart broke a little more.

Genevieve got the feeling that she should have gotten off the boat and ran to Topper, but it was too late now. Seeing him stood on the boneyard in broad daylight, looking at her the way he was, something was very wrong. She blinked back the tears that were starting to form in her eyes, and forced herself to act as normal as she could with the rest of the Pogues.

.....

It was dark when the HMS reached the boneyard, and the boys were very drunk. 'Party continues at the chateau,' John B announced, cracking open another can.

'I'm gonna head home guys. Promise me you won't kill your livers,' Genevieve said, waving goodbye as she left the boneyard. Once she was certain that she was out of sight, she started running.

The boys were all too drunk to notice Genevieve's silence, but Kiara wasn't. She hadn't been able to ignore the preoccupied look that had been in Genevieve's eyes all day, and she had a feeling she knew who was to blame for it.

When Genevieve reached Topper's house, all of the lights were out. There wasn't a car in the driveway. Genevieve felt her insides begin to turn when she realised what this meant.

Topper was gone.

Genevieve didn't know how long she had been staring at Topper's house for when she finally began to walk back to her house. But instead of heading home, she headed straight for the chateau.

Kiara was sat on the porch with Pope when she saw Genevieve approaching them from the distance. 'Oh Gen,' Kiara breathed, getting up.

'Go inside Pope,' Kiara said. Pope, who was way too drunk to think about anything, just did as he was told and headed inside to JJ and John B.

Genevieve stared at Kiara, who was rushing down the path towards her. 'He's gone, Kie.'

Genevieve couldn't help the guilt that was consuming her. Topper had beaten Rafe up to protect her. Was she the reason he had to leave?

.....

Days passed, then weeks. Genevieve knew that Topper had her phone number. Why wasn't he answering her calls?

Genevieve often found herself on Figure Eight, aimlessly wandering towards his house in the hope that he might be there. He never was.

She entered a sort of comatose state. Topper had made Genevieve look at life differently, and live life differently. She believed that he truly was her soulmate. She had never loved anyone like she loved him.

But if what they had was true love, why was it hurting worse than anything had ever hurt Genevieve before?