f i f t e e n

song: 'black out days - future islands remix' by phantogram, future islands

one year ago

JJ stormed away from Genevieve towards his dirt bike. As soon as the words had left his mouth, he had regretted them. But had he really regretted them? Was he just telling himself that to make him feel less guilty? But everything he said he meant, mostly.

Genevieve didn't deserve it though. Genevieve was always there for him; she had done nothing wrong, her family had done nothing but welcome him and treat him as their own. Genevieve knew her worth, and she knew that she was worth more than calling somebody who spoke to her like that her 'friend'.

.....

Kiara was shocked that JJ would speak to anybody like that, let alone Genevieve. She quickly ran away from the dirt bike and towards her house, not wanting to be seen by JJ or Genevieve, and not wanting her parents to send out a search party.

What JJ said was rude. What had Genevieve done to deserve that? That wasn't JJ speaking though. That wasn't the JJ they knew and loved. That was weeks, possibly months, of built-up anger and frustration coming to surface and hitting him, and Genevieve, like a tsunami.

.....

Topper couldn't believe what he had just heard. He had let the dog go ages ago. She'd find her way home. Something didn't sit right with him after JJ had given him that glare. He had seen JJ angry before, but that wasn't anger in his eyes. That was... wrath.

The way JJ spoke to Genevieve angered Topper, but the fact that he left her alone in Figure Eight, at night, angered him more. As far as JJ was concerned, Genevieve was all alone. Rafe, Kelce or anybody could have showed up and JJ left her by herself. What a gent.

Topper watched as Genevieve stood alone on the beach, watching JJ as he sped off on his dirt bike. Topper clenched his jaw and walked down to the beach.

He wasn't sure whether to approach Genevieve or not, considering yesterday's events, but seeing her stood there alone made him throw any previous emotions out the window.

.....

Genevieve stood on the beach, not quite sure how she felt. She watched JJ mount the dirt bike and drive away. He had left her. He had left her in the middle of Figure Eight at night, by herself.

She felt tears stream down her cheeks, but she felt numb. The array of emotions running laps around her head was too much to process.

She was angry at what JJ had said to her. She was hurt. She felt ashamed that that was how her best friend viewed her. She was mad; mad at JJ, mad at herself, mad at the world. She was worried for JJ. He was clearly not himself. She didn't want to think of what he might do or where he might go.

Genevieve hadn't realised how much she was crying. Silent tears were now pouring down her cheeks, but she was still just stood there, numb.

She felt two arms wrap around her, Topper's arms, gently pulling her into his chest. She knew that it was Topper; his familiar touch and scent gave it away.

"I'm fine, Topper," Genevieve mumbled shakily as she wiped the tears off of her cheeks.

"Sssh," Topper said softly as he held her close to him. He looked around, but, tonight, he didn't care if anybody saw them. Not Rafe, not his parents, not JJ, nobody.