e i g h t

one year ago

"So, tell me about you," Topper said as he and Genevieve sat on the beach, hidden in a corner where nobody would see them.

Genevieve looked at him. "You need to be more specific."

Topper shrugged. "I don't know. Tell me about your family."

"Ok. I'm an only child. I live with my parents. I live by JJ, actually." Genevieve said, looking at Topper.

"You don't know where JJ lives. Anyways. Jj practically lives in our house. Ummm.... My dad's a mechanic. That's kinda it."

Topper nodded. "So you and JJ are close then?"

Genevieve nodded. "Yup. Jealous?" She said with a smirk.

Topper scoffed and rolled his eyes. "Sure. I'm so jealous." He was jealous.

Genevieve nodded. "Right. Now it's your turn."

Topper nodded and glanced out over the water.
"My mum's name is Cynthia. She's a doctor. My grandfather's a judge."

"Now that's cool." Genevieve said, to which Topper answered with a shrug.

"Yeah, I don't know. Me and my family, well my mum at least, we sort of..."

"Clash?" Genevieve suggested.

Topper nodded. "Exactly. My mum is the type of person to blame me for everything. And she'll never admit that she's wrong, even if she's proven wrong. She has this idea of the perfect son in her head, and it's unachievable."

"I'm guessing that I won't be meeting the parents anytime soon," Genevieve said with a soft smile.

Topper looked at her and smiled sadly. "I'm sure the same goes for me with your parents," he asked.

Genevieve shrugged. "I don't think my parents would mind. My mum is very much of the 'once you're happy, I'm happy' mentality. And my dad would just be thinking 'cha-ching.'"

Topper laughed.

"But my friends..... If they ever saw us together, it would be game over." She laughed.

Topper nodded. "I can't necessarily see Rafe approving of this...... whatever this is."

"Friends hanging out." Genevieve said, to which Topper responded with a nod.

Friends hanging out. That's what it was. At least until they were willing to admit what it actually was.

.....

A couple of hours passed and Genevieve and Topper began to walk along the beach before they parted ways.

The beach was empty, which was weird, until two figures appeared in the distance.

"I wonder who that is," Genevieve said, squinting to see if she could make out the people.

They were on the Figure Eight side of the beach, because Genevieve knew that her friends would be at the boneyard that day. This might have been the first time she ever bailed on them, at least that she could remember.