s i x

- one year ago -

The next day, Topper decided to venture out to the boneyard. There was a 50/50 chance that this action would either have a really bad outcome, or a really great one. He hoped it was the latter.

Genevieve sighed. None of her friends were free today. "Great," she muttered to herself as she stuffed her phone in the pocket of her jeans. "What are today's plans, honey?" She heard her mom, Laurie, call from the kitchen.

Genevieve shrugged as she walked out of her bedroom. "Nobody's free," she said as she grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl. "Why don't you go swimming or something? You love your own company." Laurie said as she watched Genevieve bite into her apple, resting her head on her hand. Genevieve nodded. "True, but it's just more fun when they're around."

"Well, I'm off to work and I don't want you cooped up in here by yourself all day, so you better figure something out." Laurie said, ruffling Genevieve's hair as she walked past her. Genevieve rolled her eyes.

About a half hour later, Topper was considering leaving the empty boneyard. He had been there, by himself, for the past 20 minutes. The beach was silent, except for the constant sound of the waves crashing against the shore and the odd squawk of an seagull. And suddenly, it was interrupted by the sound of footsteps crunching in the sand.

Genevieve narrowed her eyes to try and make out who it was that was sat by themselves on a log. "Topper?" She said, walking towards him. Topper's head whipped around. "Genevieve?"

Genevieve smiled as she sat down next to him. "What are you doing here?" Topper shrugged. "I was just stopping by...." He said, a guilty smirk on his face. "Oh yeah, casually stopping through the Cut?" Genevieve said as she raised an eyebrow. "Yup," Topper said.

Genevieve smiled. "So you're stalking me now?" Topper laughed and looked at her. "Don't flatter yourself. Like I told you, I was just stopping by." Genevieve rolled her eyes playfully. "Well, I came here to swim and not even a handsome Kook like you can stop that."

"Oh, so I'm handsome, am I?" Topper said with a smirk. Genevieve rolled her eyes. "I also call my dad and my dog handsome, so...." Topper laughed. "I'll take the compliment." He looked over at the ocean as Genevieve slipped out of her jeans and t-shirt, leaving her standing in nothing but her bikini.

Topper looked over at her, eyes wide. He didn't know where to look. The respectful side of him wanted to look in her eyes, but he was a teenage boy after all. So, his eyes wandered.

"Oi, eyes up here," Genevieve said with a grin as she smacked his knee lightly. "Right, uh, sorry," Topper said, his tanned cheeks beginning to flush a light shade of pink. Genevieve rolled her eyes playfully before she began to walk down to the water.

"Wait up!" Topper called when he stopped staring at her ass to realise how far down the beach she had gone. "Hurry up then!" Genevieve called in response, letting the waves crash over her ankles as she waited for Topper, who was busy pulling his polo shirt off.

"About time," she muttered as Topper reached her. She turned around to face him, unable to stop her eyes from moving over his toned abdomen. "Liking the view, I see," he said with a smirk. "Oh please, you're one to talk," Genevieve retorted before she began to wade into the water.

Topper followed her in, underestimating how cold the water would be. "Holy shit!" He exclaimed as the cold water reached his waist. "Don't be a pussy," Genevieve said as she dives headfirst under a wave. Topper just watched her in shock; did this girl feel no pain? She felt a lot of pain actually, something he would come to find out.

"I'm not a pussy," he said before he dived in after her. Genevieve smiled as she came up for air. She loved the way the cold water felt on her skin, how still it was but also how rough it was. She watched as Topper came up for air. "It's fucking freezing!" Topper said, looking at Genevieve with wide eyes. Genevieve just laughed. "No it's not, you're just used to having central heating."

A little while later, Genevieve and Topper were sat next to each other on the log. "You're new to Outer Banks, aren't you?" Topper nodded in response. "You do know that this is Pogue central, right?" Genevieve asked, looking at him. Her hazel eyes made it hard for him to focus. "I know. I also happened to spot you on Figure Eight last night, flipping off Rafe."

Now it was Genevieve's turn to look at him with wide eyes. "You were there?" Topper laughed and nodded. "So you're friends with Rafe and Kelce?" Genevieve said. Something flickered across her eyes as she scanned his face for his reaction. "Um, we're friendly, sure, but we're not friends." Topper said, awkwardly shifting on the log. Genevieve nodded slowly. "Hmmm, right."

An awkward silence fell as Genevieve averted her gaze to the ocean. "Are you hungry?" Topper asked, dying to get the conversation started again. Genevieve shrugged. "I guess." "Well, then I request a tour of the best restaurants on the Cut, please."

Genevieve raised an eyebrow. "Well, Heyward's is definitely up there. Slight issue though, Pope and JJ work there so it's a no-go for you. Then there's The Wreck. Another issue, Kie works there." Topper slowly nodded, the extent of the Pogue / Kook rivalry now becoming apparent. "Kie's a Kook though." Genevieve nodded. "Technically, but she's really more like a rich Pogue. If I was seen hanging out with you, it would be game over."

"Ouch," Topper said. "Stop it. Are you telling me that if I walked around Figure Eight with you, right where Rafe and Kelce are, you would be ok with it?" Genevieve asked, looking at him with a raised eyebrow. Topper sighed. "You have a point." "I always have a point."

Eventually, they agreed that they would get a takeaway from The Wreck, but Topper would order it so Kie wouldn't question why Genevieve was ordering so much food, especially since her family rarely ate out.

"So," Topper said as he bit into a French fry. "How did this whole Pogue / Kook situation come about?" Genevieve shrugged as she took a sip of her soda. "I don't know, to be honest. But Rafe Cameron makes sure that it stays alive. It's as if it's his life mission or something." Topper nodded. "Rafe's.... complicated." "I was gonna go with psychotic but I guess complicated works too." Genevieve deadpanned. Topper laughed, once again shocked by her bluntness. "You're so abrupt." He said. Genevieve shrugged. "I just say it as it is. No bullshit." Topper nodded. "That's a good way to be."

"Now it's my turn to ask a question," Genevieve began as she reached over to steal another fry from Topper. "Just take all the fries, why don't you?" He muttered in mock annoyance. "Oh, well if you're offering...." Genevieve said with a smirk, causing Topper to playfully push her arm. "Anyways, not to sound like a pick-me girl or anything, but why are you hanging out with me? Has Rafe put you up to it?" She questioned, causing Topper to look at her with a look that was a mix between shock and hurt. "Why would you think that Rafe put me up to this?" Genevieve shrugged. "Wouldn't be the first time."

"Rafe didn't put me up to anything. I'm here completely by my own will. You're.... intriguing." Genevieve raised an eyebrow. "Thanks...." She said with a laugh, unsure whether or not to take that as a compliment. "I can't be seen with you though." Topper said. "Trust me Top, the feeling is mutual." He looked at her with a smirk. "Top?" "Oh shut up," she said with a laugh as she pushed him away. "But I agree. If we are to continue.... whatever this is, it'll have to be secretly."

Secretly. If one word could perfectly sum up Topper and Genevieve's relationship, it was that. They met secretly, loved secretly, hurt secretly.