Chapter 1: Distant Memories

"Mr

"Mr. Queen." A man in a suit announced Clark as he took him to the living room of the unfamiliar penthouse.

"My mom told me you were here." Clark blurted out. Lois was standing with another man. Both were dressed nicely and he assumed they had come back from some party.

"Smallville," she said, clearly surprised. "It's almost midnight." At Lois's mention of his nickname, Oliver looked puzzled

"Smallville?" The other man said. "You're Clark Kent?"

"Yeah," Clark said, "You must be Oliver Queen." He met the other man in the middle of the room and shook his hand.

"Yeah." Oliver said, smiling, his expression a mixture between amusement and shock. Something about him seemed familiar but Clark couldn't place him. I probably saw him in the newspaper, Clark thought, dismissively.

Oliver was shaking his head and laughing. "This is funny." Clark looked at him, wondering what he was talking about. "You know, the way Lois talked about you, I expected you to be a bit more . . ."

But he was cut off by Lois. "You know, I could really use some water."

Neither man paid her any attention. "A bit more what?" Clark asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Well," Oliver started, shrugging.

"Of a geek?" Clark asked.

Oliver was about to say something but Lois spoke first. "Well you have to admit, you're not exactly jumping the velvet ropes at nightclubs."

Smiling, Oliver shot Clark a look but Clark wasn't phased. "It's nice to see that Lois has found someone who can overlook her personality." He said calmly.

"Ahh, don't worry about it, Clark." Oliver said jovially, "If I lived under the same roof as such a beautiful woman, I would have probably masked my feelings in sarcasm too." He then walked up a small set of steps and turned back, looking pleased.

Both Clark and Lois froze at his declaration.

"Feelings?" Lois said, looking between him and Oliver.

"Feelings?" Clark repeated. This guy is joking, right? He and Lois . . . yeah, right. The day he and Lois dated would be the day he ran around in spandex and a cape.

"Little advice there Freud jr," Lois was saying, "Stick to the day job." Oliver just continued smiling. How annoying was this guy?