Chapter 8: Parting Is Such Sweet Sorrow!

So close, too close. How could he have screwed up that badly? He had faced another criminal from the Phantom Zone but this time, he almost died. Then again, when had he actually been able to take down the Zoner by himself?

The first time, with the forest ranger, if Chloe hadn’t figured out that electricity kills the plant, he would’ve died. The second time, he had defeated Baern with Raya’s crystal. And now, he had been saved by some mysterious stranger.

Someone who was more powerful than him, who had abilities he could only imagine in his wildest dreams. The worst part was that he had no idea who it was. The last thing he saw was this man’s eyes glow red and he watched him disappear in a red flash.

“So, what, your cell phone doesn't get reception in Seattle?” Chloe’s familiar voice brought him back to reality.

He glanced at her. “I was preoccupied.”

“That's fine, but you were up against an alien from another planet,” Chloe told him. “I was worried.”

“Sorry.” He said, not sounding the least bit apologetic.

“So, the crystal was a success?” Chloe asked.

Clark sighed. “No, it wasn’t.”

“Then did the Zoner just decide to pack up and leave the solar system?” Chloe wanted to know.

“Someone else killed him,” Clark informed her, not meeting her gaze. “Someone who can do things I could only dream of.”

“Whoa,” Chloe exclaimed. “So, this someone . . . he's on our side, right?”

“I'm not sure.” Clark replied.

"Clark, it's me,” Chloe said, clearly fed up with his distant attitude. “Your most trusted friend and secret keeper. How about a few details?”

“Believe it or not, there are some things you don't need to know,” Clark said.

“Look, I understand that you feel like all these psychopathic space invaders are your fault, but you can't keep it all inside.” Chloe insisted. “You feel the need to carry the world on your shoulders, and that's noble. But there are other people out there who want to help you fight the good fight, and you need to let them in. Because sometimes even heroes need to be saved.”

She looked at him and seeing that he wasn’t responding, she shook her head, disappointed. She turned to leave and Clark didn’t stop her. He stood up and walked across the loft, and stopped when he stepped on something.

He looked down and was shocked to see an Oreo cookie there, much like the one he had seen lying on the docks. He did a quick check around but there was nobody there. This was not a good sign.

“Oh,” Chloe’s voice drifted from the bottom of the steps, “Hello, Mr. Queen.” Oliver? What was he doing here?

“Hello, Chloe,” Oliver said. “How are you doing?”

“Not bad,” he heard her reply. “But I should get going. Good night.”

“Good night." Oliver said.

He heard Oliver coming up the steps and tried to remain calm and collected. The way his heart already began to race at the sound of his voice proved he was failing.

“Hey, Clark,” Oliver greeted him but Clark didn’t turn around. “I’m not coming at a bad time am I?”

Clark turned around and gave him a small smile. He was but Clark couldn’t bring himself to make him leave.