Chapter 12: Secrets & Suspicions

The officer didn’t ask too many questions so Clark was free to go. He had to duck reporters who were all vying for his attention and headed back into the museum. Immediately, he searched for Oliver. When he spotted him, he made his way over.

“Hi,” he said, gaining his attention. “How are you feeling?” Earlier, he had seen police officers talking to Oliver.

“I’m fine,” Oliver said, “Had to answer a few questions, how about you? The press and police didn’t bother you too much, did they?”

“They were just doing their jobs,” Clark assured him. “And it was okay, I managed.”

“Want to head out?” Oliver offered. “The journalists should be gone by now.”

“Yeah, let’s go.” Clark agreed.

The paparazzi was still around but they managed to make it back to the limo with little problem. Once they were inside, he relaxed. But he could feel Oliver’s eyes watching him.

He met Oliver’s gaze. “Is everything okay?”

“Clark,” Oliver said slowly, “You hugged me.”

“I didn’t make you uncomfortable, did I?” Clark asked worriedly.

“No, no,” Oliver said quickly. “It’s just, you said something that caught my attention. You said I had a gun to my head again. What did that mean?”

'Oh, God, was he stupid or what?' He had been so happy Oliver had been okay, he hadn’t been thinking. Of course he had been referring to the first time he had saved Oliver’s life but Oliver didn’t know that!

“Did I say that?” Clark asked, trying to look confused. “I don’t remember.”

“You did,” Oliver said, “You’ve never seen me with a gun to my head before.”

“I don’t know, Oliver, I don’t remember,” Clark lied. “I mean, you got shot before. Lex shot you, remember? I must’ve been thinking about that.”

Oliver didn’t look convinced. “But, you didn’t see me get shot.”

“Oliver, I don’t know!” Clark said, “I really don’t remember what you are talking about, I was scared for you. I was babbling, don’t take it too seriously.”

“Alright,” Oliver replied, “I suppose you’re right.” But he knew that the other man didn’t buy his explanation for a second. At least he had dropped the subject though.

There was no more talking for the rest of the ride. Just an awkward silence, with neither of them knowing what to say. Clark was relieved when they finally reached the farm.

“See you later ” He said, exiting the limo but was stopped when Oliver grabbed his arm. He looked back at him.

“Clark,” Oliver said, letting go of his arm. “Thank you . . . for saving me today. I’m really glad I went with you.”

He smiled. “You’re welcome. I’m just happy I was lucky enough to be there.” Without another word, he left, closing the door behind him.

But only when the limo disappeared from sight did he enter the house. His mom was there waiting for him and she hugged him the minute he was inside.