Chapter 3: Reunions & Rivalries

When Clark heard what happened at the Excelsior reunion, from Chloe who got the story from Lois, he was worried about Oliver. He privately wondered why he cared so much, especially since it had been three years since their little tryst occurred.

He couldn’t bring himself to go check on the other man. The two of them weren’t friends, and he just didn’t want to go see him, not knowing how to react around him anymore.

Unfortunately, their separation was not meant to be. When having dinner with Chloe and his mother, he found out that a village was destroyed in India. He had to know whether more criminals had escaped from the Phantom Zone at the same time he did. However, the only way to see that would be to find more craters, like the one he had made upon arriving on Earth.

Chloe commented that their best bet was satellite images and wasn’t it just ironic that Queen Industries had the only working satellite on Dark Thursday? Clark agreed to go see Oliver, claiming that the other man owed him a favor. He wasn’t sure if that was true but neither his mother nor Chloe questioned him on it.

Upon arriving at Oliver’s place, he was greeted with the sight of Oliver with a bow. His eyes were closed so he didn’t see Clark and when an arrow came flying, Clark caught it with ease. This got Oliver’s attention.

“Clark,” he said, only a little surprised. “I was wondering if my security system would keep someone like you out.”

“Looks like you need an upgrade.” Clark told him, making his way down the short set of stairs to where Oliver stood.

“Or you need to learn how to knock,” Oliver retorted. Then he smiled. “It's okay. You know what? You can keep that arrow. I've got a new one.”

Clark watched silently as Oliver picked up an arrow from a silver case. “I was thinking about developing a boxing-glove arrow,” Oliver explained, “and then I thought, "come up with something a little fancier".”

The arrow hit its target and everything suddenly went silent. “Contained electromagnetic pulse,” Oliver told him, “knocks out everything electrical within an 8-foot radius - cameras, laser systems, pacemakers.” Noticing Clark’s expression, he added, “The last one was a joke, Clark.”

He raised an eyebrow. “I’m laughing on the inside.”

“Maybe we'll get lucky one day, and it'll bubble to the surface,” Oliver joked. “To what do I owe the pleasure?”

“I need to talk to you about Queen Industries, their satellite grid.” Clark said.

“What about it?” Oliver asked.

Thinking up a quick lie, Clark said, “My friend Chloe, she's doing a story on the global effects of Dark Thursday. She needs satellite images from that day, but none of them were working.”

“Except mine.” Oliver said, with a knowing smile. And apparently, falling for the lie.

“How’d you manage that?” Clark asked, curious.

“Trade secret.” Oliver replied, with a small smile.

Fair enough, Clark thought. Oliver didn’t know much about him and he shouldn’t expect the entire truth from Oliver either.

“I’ll tell you what,” Oliver started, “I’ll give your friend Chloe the access codes to the grid archive, if you do one small thing for me.”

“What would that be?” Clark asked, slightly wary.

“Help me figure out,” Oliver said, “how Lex caused the accidental death of two of my friends.”

Now Clark was surprised. “You think Lex killed them?”