Chapter 16: Love Or Revenge?

It had been almost four days since he had last seen Oliver. 3 days, 18 hours, 56 minutes and 24 seconds since Oliver kissed him in his loft. But it wasn’t as if he was counting or anything.

Clark groaned. Who was he kidding? He was going crazy and it had only been a short time. The lack of Oliver’s presence in his life had nothing to do with busy schedules or them just missing each other. Oliver had tried to call him, but Clark had caller ID and didn’t pick up the phone. Two times Oliver had come to the barn but the minute he heard his car approaching, Clark took off.

No, he was going to see Oliver when he was ready. Well, he still wasn’t ready but he was going to see him that night. Lois and Chloe were coming here soon. Their planned meeting time was at 6:30 so Chloe and Lois agreed to pick him up at 5:30.

Normally he would’ve just run to the Talon but Lois would get suspicious on how he got there and he figured it wasn’t worth the hassle of lying. That’s why he was surprised when, at 4:45, he heard a knock at the door.

When he opened the door, he was confused to see Chloe on the other side.

“Chloe, you’re a little early.” He said.

She gave him a once over. “Actually, I’m right on time. You’re not actually going to go out in that, are you?”

“What’s wrong with what I’m wearing?” He protested, as she walked right past him. “I always dress like this.”

“Exactly!” Chloe exclaimed, “That’s why you can’t wear it. I’m not saying you don’t pull off your traditional outfit but this is big. You have to show Oliver exactly what he’s missing.”

“Wait, I’m not going to dress up for Oliver.” Clark argued.

Chloe stopped at the foot of the steps. “Yes, you are. Do you want to win him over or not? Now come along.” She went up the steps, not even waiting for him to respond.

Realizing he had no other choice, he followed her and found her digging through his closet.

“Chloe, this is nuts.” He complained.

“Hush, Clark,” Chloe told him, “You’re interrupting. I’m just finding a different shirt. This is a simple karaoke club so it will look too obvious if you’re decked out. But, I just want to get you out of that shirt and jacket. Your jeans are fine.”

Giving up, he sat on the bed and watched her work. “Jesus, Clark,” Chloe said, “How many of those red and blue shirts do you have? Do you just buy them in bulk or something?”

“They’re comfortable,” he said defensively. “Do you know how many clothes get ruined thanks to the meteor freaks and the zoners? It’s just easier this way.”

Chloe laughed. “Well, I have to agree on that count. But you should throw in some nice shirts now and then too.”

“I don’t have many opportunities to go out.” Clark said, shrugging.

Suddenly, she grinned and pulled out a top. “How come I’ve never seen you wear this?”

Clark grimaced at the shirt she pulled out. Half sleeved, button up, tight black shirt. That shirt had some bad memories attached to it.