Chapter 20: Bittersweet Love

Once the first tear fell, others followed shortly after

Once the first tear fell, others followed shortly after. Within moments, he was standing there with tears streaming down his face. And was it suddenly a lot colder in the room? Did the temperature drop? Why else would he be shivering? He tried to stop himself but he succeeded for a couple of seconds, at best, before it started again.

Somehow, he made it back to his bedroom. He didn’t know exactly how he got there but when he looked around, he found he was on his own bed. Sleep wouldn’t come easy that night. Not when all he could focus on was Oliver, not when all he could picture when he closed his eyes was Oliver walking away.

The goodbye had sounded so final. He had really thought Oliver was The One.

“Look, sometimes you got to tuck your feelings away until it's the right time,” Lois advised him, after he found Lana kissing Lex. “Like stuffing dollars into a piggy bank for a bike you can't quite afford.”

“Except, I can't quite imagine there is anyone else out there.” Clark replied.

“Well, you never know, Clark,” Lois told him. “Maybe when you finally crack open that piggy bank you'll find that all this time you haven't been saving for a bike, you've really been saving for a Harley.”

He could remember that conversation with Lois, at a point when he had been so convinced that Lana was going to be the only woman he loved. It seemed that Lois had been right. One of the reasons it had never worked with Lana must’ve been because his heart was waiting for someone else.

Apparently, everyone has seen that but him. Even his mom had suggested Lana might not be the one and that was the real reason he hadn’t told her.

Could it have been possible that even though he had pushed Oliver from his mind, his heart always knew? Was that why he couldn’t ever give himself fully to anyone else? Because deep inside, he knew that he already belonged to a certain blond billionaire?

Not that it was of any use now, Oliver was gone. He had no intention to work things out. Didn’t want to work things out . . . . he stifled a yawn. It had been a long day. Maybe sleep would come after all.

He closed his eyes and drifted off, wanting to escape from the harsh reality of his life. His dreams didn’t cooperate with him that night though. Oliver starred in them, as always, but all he could see was Oliver with other people. Every time he tried to get close to Oliver, it was as if he was hitting a magnetic force field. He could only watch helplessly as Oliver flirted with other people.

A second dream was about Oliver getting married. A woman in white was walking down the aisle and Oliver looked gorgeous in his black tux. He couldn’t see her face and it was as if nobody could see him. He screamed, he objected and tried desperately to gain Oliver’s attention but he was invisible to everyone.