Chapter 14: Plans & Life-Changing Consequences

After filling in Oliver on the details, Clark promised to go find out exactly what proof Lois had and get back to him. Oliver sounded worried on the phone and Clark repeatedly assured him that they would find a plan. He knew exactly what Oliver was going through. Too many times had his secret been close to exposure. Lois may be dating Oliver and she may care about him deeply, for all he knew, but in the end, she was working to be a reporter. He had no clue how she would take the news or any idea what she would do with the information.

So he headed toward Lois’s apartment and was happy when he found she wasn’t around. He did find the pictures she was describing and his heart sank as he realized she wasn’t kidding around.

He heard footsteps and he saw Chloe. She stopped when she saw him. “I swear I'm losing my scare reflex because of you.”

“Lois asked me to . . .” he started but she didn’t let him finish.

“Oh, please, Clark,” she said dismissively. “Are you going to tell me why you're digging in Lois' purse, snoop dogg? Wait. Let me guess. You're covering for the new pledge of your hero fraternity.”

“Last time Lois said she had a lead on the Green Arrow, she was just bluffing,” Clark explained. “Now she says Jimmy has shots that will help I.D. him.”

“Jimmy?” Chloe repeated. “He's moonlighting for Lois?”

“I guess we all have secrets to keep,” Clark said pointedly. “You should know that better than anyone right now. You knew that Lana was pregnant, didn't you?”

Then it was like the straw that broke the camel’s back. Chloe exploded. "Clark, before you unload your anger on me, can I just say that I think it is incredibly unfair that everyone trusts me to keep their secrets, and then they turn around and they throw me attitude for keeping someone else's secret.” She said, raising her voice. “Look, I'm sorry that I had to take a two-second breather from hiding the fact that you are an alien from another planet to protect someone else for a change. God!”

Immediately feeling guilty, Clark took her in his arms and just held her.

“You had that coming, you know?” Chloe asked her head resting on his chest.

He pulled away and looked at her intensively. “For the record, I prefer ‘intergalactic traveler’ over ‘alien from another planet’.” He said seriously.

Chloe chucked and he was glad that they weren’t fighting. He knew sometimes he acted like an idiot and he was glad Chloe was so forgiving.

“So what are you going to do?” Chloe asked.

“I don’t know,” Clark confessed. “I mean, I’m torn.”

“I know you’ll figure it out,” Chloe said confidently. “And you sounded a little off on the phone this morning . . .”

“Oliver was there." He said and quickly filled her in on what happened. He filtered out the parts about Oliver catching him floating and the discussion on his flying.

“Oh no!” Chloe said, “I’m so sorry, Clark.”

“What are you apologizing for?” He asked.