Chapter 23: Sunrises and Promises

He dozed off but he only slept for a couple hours before he woke up again. Glancing at the clock and back at Oliver, he was struck with an idea.

Clark shook the blonde gently. “Hey, Oliver.” He said softly.

Oliver moaned in protest and snuggled into Clark’s chest. “Oh, Oliver.” He said again, not giving up.

He finally woke up and looked at Clark. “What, Clark?”

“You awake?” Clark asked.

“I am now,” Oliver groaned, “What time is it?”

“5:45.” He replied promptly. At this, Oliver glared at him.

“Wake me up in a couple of hours.” He said and closed his eyes.

“You have to wake up now.” Clark insisted.

Realizing Clark wasn’t going to give up, Oliver sighed and opened his eyes again.

“Please tell me you have a good reason for waking me up at this godforsaken hour.” Oliver grumbled.

Clark had gotten out of bed and was in the process of putting his clothes back on. “Come on, get up.”

“Clark, you’ve got to be kidding me,” Oliver said, “It’s so early and you wore me out last night.”

He smirked. “Thanks for the compliment, but let’s go! We have places to be.”

Oliver didn’t look pleased but rolled out of bed anyway. He slowly put on his clothes. “Okay, let me go freshen up.”

“No time for that,” Clark insisted, “We have to go now.”

Clark made his way out of the bedroom and heard Oliver following him.

“Are you at least going to tell me where we’re going?” Oliver questioned.

Clark stopped briefly and winked. “Nope, it’s a surprise.” He reached the balcony and stepped outside.

“Clark,” Oliver complained, “It’s cold out there.”

“Take a jacket.” Clark said and waited a few moments as Oliver disappeared and came back, now with a jacket on.

Oliver looked around. “What’s the surprise?”

In one swift move, Clark pulled Oliver into his arms. “You’ll see.” With a grin, he added, “Hold on.”

“Clark, what . . .” Oliver started but trailed off when he looked down and found that they were off the ground.

“Oh my God.” Oliver breathed as the two of them took off into the air. Clark smiled as Oliver tightened his hold on him and looked around in amazement.

He reached his destination, the top of the Daily Planet Globe.

“Clark,” Oliver said softly, “You can fly! I thought you said you were afraid of heights.”

“I got over it,” Clark said. “You’re the only person I’ve ever told about my fear of heights and I wanted you to be the first to know when I got over it. I figured what better way then to show you?”