19: 𝚂𝚊𝚛𝚊𝚑 𝙲𝚊𝚖𝚎𝚛𝚘𝚗

Later that day, the group found themselves back at the Chateau with one more person. Sarah Cameron. John B had dispersed from the group earlier, getting the Kook and soon meeting up with them. Both Carrera sisters were against the idea, not liking that she was there and in on their Pogue thing.

"No effing way! You brought her here? So what? She's in on this now?" Kie questions in anger.

Instead of replying, John B looks to Pope and JJ, hoping for the boys to help him out and reason with the sisters, only to get a shrug from Pope as he didn't know what to say.

"Look, all I care about is her cut comes out of your share." JJ informs.

"You know, I don't remember taking a vote." Y/n states.

Kie nods. "Exactly! This is our thing. A Pogue thing."

"I gotta say, I'm just a tad uncomfortable with all of this." Pope announces awkwardly.

"When are you not uncomfortable?" John B fires back.

"I don't know. I rode here on the back of JJ's bike pretty comfortably." Pope argues.

JJ nods. "It's true. Most relaxed I've ever seen him."

"That's cute, guys." John B comments.

"You know we were all extremely comfortable until you brought her." Kie tells John B.

"Stop talking about me like I'm not here!" Sarah intervenes.

"Then leave." Y/n bluntly tells her.

Sarah scoffs while glancing to John B. "I told you."

"Told him what, exactly? That you're a liar?" Kie questions.

"No, that you're both shit-talking bitches." Sarah snaps out of anger.

Almost immediately, Pope and JJ begin placing bets as they watch the three girls argue back and forth with one another. Meanwhile, John B clenches his hands into fist as he wishes the three girls could just get along.

"Everybody shut up!" John B shouts, making them do just that. "Kie, Y/n, you two are my best friends, right? And Sarah, you're... you're my..."

"Say it." Sarah urges.

"You're my girlfriend." John B admits.

"Oh... that's new." Pope mumbles.

"She's your girlfriend now?" Kie asks.

"What was all that talk about you were just using her for information? Get a map, cut her loose." Y/n reminds in annoyance.

Sarah pauses for a moment as she looks to John B, taking a minute to listen to the girl's words as tears slightly pool in her eyes, but however, she only blinks them back.

"You said you were using me?" Sarah questions.

"No." John B lies.

"Yeah, you did." The four correct.

"Look, love just walked in, okay?" John B argues.

"Oh, vomit." Kie mutters.

"I didn't expect it. It just-- it kind of happened. And I'm not gonna deny it. Right?" John B continues.

"That's corny." Pope comments in a whisper.

"Look, cut the bullshit, John B. If she's in, I'm out." Kie informs.

Y/n nods. "Yeah, me too."

"Guys, I'm not doing this." John B refuses. "I can't!"

"You are gonna decide. I'm very interested, actually. Me and Y/n or her?" Kie pushes.

"The three of you." John B replies.

JJ whistles. "Went for the Hail Mary."

The sisters stare at the boy in disbelief before they both stomp out of the Chateau, clearly showing they didn't like his answer that they were given. Kiara dispersed from her sister, obviously wanting to be alone. Meanwhile, Y/n finds herself walking down to the docks, feet dangling over the edge.

After a couple minutes, the sound of footsteps were heard before someone sits right next to her, their knees touching. Y/n didn't even have to look to know that it was Pope right beside her. The two sat in a silence as Y/n watched her feet dangle over the water. A few tears slipped down her cheeks, sniffles escaping her.

"Corpses cry too, you know." Pope informs, breaking the silence. "Well, they secrete fluid from their eyes."

A little chuckle escapes Y/n as she glances at him, liking it was just them and them alone. Pope glances at her before slowly bringing his arm around her shoulders, laying it there, giving her any chance to shrug it off. However, unlike what he expected, Y/n rests her head on his shoulder, snuggling into his side slightly.

"I hate John B right now." Y/n admits. "Look, it's just because I know how this ends. I've seen this movie. Kie and I starred in it. I mean, freshman year, it was my first year at the Kook Academy. You know how intimidating that is? Kie already had a few friends, but she mainly just spent time with me so I was alone. I mean, pretty sure she fit in on the first day. Maybe, I don't know. But even then, one of these things is obviously not like the other. I mean, other than Kie, I didn't have anything in common with anyone, and just as I'm about to slit my wrists, the queen asks me if I wanna go save baby sea turtles. Kiara was even with her when she asked. Our first day together, the three of us walked to the beach. We waited for the hatch, and we kept the seagulls off so that the turtles could get to the water."

"That... actually sounds kinda nice." Pope tells her.

"It was the best day of my life. And then she turned on Kie and I like she does with everyone." Y/n informs. "Look, I'm not doing this with her. He's gonna have to choose."

"You know he can't do that." Pope reminds softly.

Y/n nods. "I know. But Kie won't see it that way."

Pope nods slightly. After a few minutes, he slowly stands up, his arm leaving her shoulders. The Carrera girls looks up at him as he looks down at her. If anyone looked closely... you could see the love in his eyes.

"If it were me... I know who I'd choose." Pope informs.

And with that, she walks off and back towards the Chateau, leaving Y/n to stare at his retreating figure. Pope walked back into the Chateau and into the kitchen, seeing John B and JJ already standing in there together.

"What'd Y/n say?" John B asks.

"That you're an idiot." Pope replies, lying.

In fact, Pope was the one who thought the Routledge boy was an idiot. Out of everything, he wouldn't hesitate to choose Y/n. It could even be between his scholarship or Y/n, and he'd choose her. No doubt.

"And Kie?" John B questions.

Pope shrugs a shoulder. "Didn't see her."

"It's a no-brainer. You're picking Y/n and Kie." JJ states.

"Look, I can't make a decision." John B informs.

"So what? We're just dead in the water because you're pussy-whipped?" JJ fires back. "We can't do this without those two, and you know it."

"And I can't do it without Sarah." John B replies. "Okay? The three of them have to be in on it."

"Well, good luck with that." Pope says.

"You know what? I know this was my fault, alright?" John B starts. "But it's our problem. I've got a plan. And you two shitheads are gonna help me out."