27: 𝚊𝚌𝚌𝚞𝚜𝚎𝚍

After running off from the sirens that, clearly, came from the cops, the four teenagers found themselves in a little garage-like place, hoping to hear from John B or Sarah soon. As they were all there, the sound of a plane above them filled their eardrums, making them look up in the sky, seeing the exact same plane Ward had started flying going right past them, the gold with it.

The next thing Kiara, Y/n and JJ knew, Pope was letting out angry cries, damaging many things around them in the garage. The Heyward boy picks up a bat, breaking lots and lots of glass around them, ignoring Kiara and Y/n's shouts for him to stop. Y/n knew why he was like this, but all she wanted to do was calm him down.

Eventually, after throwing a garbage bin a few feet away from them, Pope seats himself on a sofa that was made for outside, panting heavily while the other three stared at him with frowns. Pope had tried so hard to get to his friends as fast as he could, informing them about the plane, but in the end, Ward had still gotten the gold anyway.

"Yeah, dude. I was wondering when this was gonna happen." JJ states, holding out his vape for his friend. "Here you go, chief. A little weed never hurt no one."

"JJ..." Kie intervenes.

"Relax, Kie." JJ tells her.

"You know he doesn't smoke." Y/n reminds just as Pope takes the vape.

"Well, maybe not until today." JJ replies.

Y/n sighs. "What is that gonna help?"

Kie nods. "Yeah, what is it gonna do?"

"I lost my scholarship. Walked out in the middle of the interview. Every-- It's gone. It's not gonna happen." Pope informs.

"You did that for us?" Kie asks, glancing at her sister.

Pope shakes his head. "No, not for us. For nothing."

"I'm here for you, Pope. Welcome to my world, okay?" JJ tells him.

"JJ--" Y/n begins.

"What, Y/n? He's right. It doesn't matter anymore." JJ argues.

Y/n looks back at Pope. "You don't have to do that."

Pope just stares at her just as John B turns the corner, the four all rushing to him and asking questions, seeing blood on his hands. John B doesn't even bother answering as he just stands there silently. Hearing a siren and a police car drive near them, the five quickly hide behind the sofa, not saying a word as the four all glanced to their silent friend.

***

Night had now came to the island as the five teenagers found themselves in a vehicle together, parking right in front of the police station. John B had told them about Rafe shooting Peterkin and she was now, most likely, dead in the hands of Ward.

The Routledge boy claimed he wanted to tell the police about the sudden death of Peterkin, but after parking in front of the station, the boy didn't move from his spot in the driver's seat. Blood still laid a bit on his shirt, not as much on his hands anymore.

JJ rests his hand on the boy's shoulder. "Alright. I'm just gonna be real with you right now. You might end up in the lion's den, but you don't go there on purpose. It's fundamental. Just like my old man always told me, you should never ever trust cops, no matter what the circumstance is."

"Your old man's an abusive liar." Kie fires back.

"I agree with JJ. Fuck the police." Pope agrees.

"You going to the dark side now?" Y/n questions in disbelief.

"When's the last time the police ever helped us?" Pope argues.

"Peterkin looked out for me, alright? Tried to, at least." John B snaps. "They need to know."

With a frown, he exits the vehicle and heads into the station. The four only wait about a minute or so until the brunette rushes back out, sprinting towards them while frantically yelling at them to start the car. All of them shout back as he quickly gets into the vehicle, shutting the door behind him. Seeing two police officers, Kie quickly starts the car, pressing against the gas.

"What did you do?" Kie yells.

"Open it." Pope instructs.

Quickly obeying, John B opens his door, which sends the officer that held a grip on the handle to the ground with a shout, the woman tumbling over. The brunette quickly slams the door shut as Kie drives off.

***

The next day, the group were still in the vehicle, their seats lowered so their faces would be hidden from the window. The radio was on, speaking about the ninety percent of the power going back on just as a siren fills their ears. JJ sits up a little, watching as a police car speeds by them, not seeming to notice the teenagers in the car, hiding.

Many officers had been going around, placing posters of John B almost every where on the island, accusing him of being the shooter that killed Peterkin. But the teenagers didn't know that. Speaking of Peterkin, Kie quickly shuts the radio off when the man began speaking about the said sheriff and how they still haven't found the shooter.

Y/n sat in her seat that was lowered, right in-between her sister and Pope. The Heyward boy's hand was in her, their fingers intertwined. After his break down yesterday, she was trying to give him any comfort he needed, and he was grateful for it.

"Let's game this out. Maybe you guys can help, being the smart ones and all, but... who are the cops going to believe? Ward Cameron or us? So the accuser is a bigshot developer, kind of lord of the island, got the governor on speed dial kind of person, and the accused... is John B, who is... pretty much a homeless sixteen year old boy at the moment." JJ rambles on.

"Thanks." John B replies with sarcasm.

"Okay, man. Yucatan, alright? I'm saying that's the only option. What other option do you have?" JJ asks.

John B sighs. "Enough with the Mexico bullshit. Sarah's gonna bail me out."

"She did witness the whole thing." Y/n reminds.

"And she's gonna snitch on her brother?" Pope questions.

JJ shakes his head. "Not happening, bro. Okay? We've gotta get you off the island."

"The ferry. It's the only way." Pope suggests.

JJ nods. "Yeah, exit stage left while you still can. Before the entire island is on lockdown."

"Sarah's not a Pogue, John B." Pope reminds.

"Yeah. You can't stay here, man." JJ tells him.