Chapter 1 {Edited}

Four months later...

Leona subconsciously fixed her leather jacket over her shoulders, running her hand through her hair. The brunette stood outside the abandoned church located in New York preparing herself to go in.

She swallowed, looking at the ring still present on her finger, before looking down at the rune on her arm, taking out her stele to activate it.

The Shadowhunter hadn't stepped foot in the New York Institute since her mission, but after four months of absence, the Clave had demanded that she return to her duty of being a Shadowhunter.

Leona honestly didn't know if she was ready to be back, but she didn't really have a choice.

With one last breath, Leona activated her rune and walked into the building. Immediately she was met with the sound of footsteps and chatter, fellow Shadowhunters busy at work, looking through files, completing missions of their own.

If Leona were to use her hearing rune, she was sure she'd be able to hear grunts coming from the training room where Hodge was without a doubt sparring with someone.

The brunette began to walk around, most of the people near her too busy to stop and acknowledge her. She did receive some greetings, some asking how she was while others gave their condolences, which she faked a smile to in response. But she let out a breath of relief at the familiarity the institute gave her.

Her past mission took about five months to complete and with an extra four months on staying away at her mother's. That's about nine whole months and Leona had missed the Institute greatly.

After a few moments of peering at some monitors, a genuine smile grew on her face as Leona began to hear familiar voices in the room of the institute.

Leona walked towards the voices which revealed the sight of her original team, along with two new faces she had yet to meet.

From her spot, Leona saw Isabelle, the beautiful girl, and her long black hair. She smiled as she spotted the girl wearing her signature, six-inch heels.

Next to her was Jace Wayland, his arms folded across his chest. Even with his back turned from her, Leona had no doubt the blonde held a smirk on his face.

Now the other two figures were unfamiliar to Leona. The boy near Isabelle looked out of place with his glasses and nervous posture, glancing awkwardly at everything around him.

Alongside him was a redhead. She looked determined with the way she held herself but looking closer, Leona noticed how scared the girl seemed, her hands twitching at her sides.

Leona tilted her head in bemusement at the black leather coating the girl from head to toe, no doubt seeming to be Isabelle's doing.

The brunette let out a quiet chuckle.

Just as Leona was about to approach the group, she was cut off by yet another familiar face making his way into the room, too occupied to notice the Lovelace girl standing somewhat near them.

"I don't approve of this mission," Alec spoke out as he walked towards the group near the weapons rack.

Leona shook her head at the Lightwood boy who clearly hadn't changed from his strict rulings since she was gone, not that she was surprised.

Alec Lightwood wasn't someone she was close with, unlike Jace and Isabelle whom Leona saw as close friends, Alec fell more into the colleague or kind of friend category. They were around each other enough to trust and protect one another but the two weren't as close.

Leona was pulled out of her thoughts as she heard the group talking about Valentine and The Circle.

The brunette had heard of the rumors surrounding the man and wanted to know more. After spending her time in Paris seeking out ex-shadow hunters, things had been quiet for a while but now it seems that wasn't the case anymore.