Chapter 28 {Edited}

With a deep sigh, Leona began to speak into the late-night air. She had been walking around for a few minutes now but hasn't had any luck in locating the newly turned vampire.

"Simon. You're a great guy, I know you didn't ask for this but at least let us help you." The brunette shouted, trying to see if Simon would respond.

The brunette stared down at her forearm looking at the Heightened Speed rune she had drawn, knowing that the rune's power had already faded away due to the human blood coursing through her body.

Leona stood still for a moment waiting for any signs of Simon. With a click of her tongue, Leona continued walking after not sensing the newly turned vampire.

"I hate temporary runes." She mumbled before calling out, "Vampy, oh vampy," as she soon approached more streets, the brunette slightly far away from the cemetery she had been in just a few minutes ago.

The hairs at the back of her neck suddenly stood as Leona turned around and prepared herself for Simon only to gasp when she saw Raphael blocking Simon from running away.

"Your runes and senses are good Shadowhunter, but nothing overpowers a vampire's instincts." Raphael gloated as he held Simon in place. "And calling him like one of those dogs won't work."

Leona rolled her eyes at the vampire's hostility towards the other Downworlder species before turning to look at Simon. "Simon, hey," Leona said gently, trying to calm the boy down.

Without responding, Simon once again tried speeding away from the two only for Raphael to push him back. "Where do you think you're going?" The older vampire asked.

"Easy, Raph," Leona said, guiding Simon over to the abandoned van that was parked near them.

"I-I don't know," Simon said as he tried to catch his breath.

Leona watched as the boy looked at himself in the cracked mirror of the vehicle. She could see him assessing his situation, the blood on the corner of his mouth.

She watched as he shook his head in denial.

"I can see my reflection, does that mean I'm not..." Simon turned around to ask Raphael, pointing to the mirror in front of them. Leona frowned, feeling sorry about the hope that he carried in his words. "...one of you."

"You have a lot to learn," Raphael told him shortly. Although Simon couldn't tell, the vampire was trying to be gentle with the newly turned mundane, something that Leona picked up on and was grateful for.

"This can't be happening," Simon said hurriedly shaking his head before walking away again.

Leona glanced at Raphael before running after the vampire, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Listen, Sim-"

"Don't touch me!" Simon snapped at Leona. His vangs flashed causing her to stumble in surprise.

The Shadowhunter, unprepared for the action fell back onto the ground behind her, wincing as the palm of her hands scratched on the concrete from catching her fall.

Leona looked at Simon, seeing a flash of regret on his face.

"I'm okay." Leona nodded reassuringly to Raphael, who sped over to the Shadowhunter helping her off the ground.

"I don't have a heartbeat!" Simon shouted, feeling even more overwhelmed after Leona's reaction. "I'm dead."

"Undead." Raphael corrected him, unhelpfully.

"Dude." Leona glared at Raphael who only shrugged.

"Simon, we're gonna help you." Leona tried telling the vampire. "Raphael will help you."