Chapter 14 {Edited}

Leona scoffed in amusement as she and Alec spotted Clary in front of the art school. The redhead was glamoured, but her phone wasn't on silent as it rang, causing the mundanes around her to check their own devices in confusion. She glanced up at Alec only to see him standing with an unamused expression.

"Kind of funny if you think about it," Leona told Alec as they watched the mundanes look for something they couldn't see.

"Not the time, Lovelace," Alec said to her shortly before walking towards Clary. Leona blew a stray piece of hair away from her face with a slight frown before following the Lightwood.

"That was childish, sneaking out like that..." Leona heard Alec scold the redhead as she walked to stand next to him.

She raised her eyebrows at Clary causing the redhead to look at her sheepishly before turning around to answer her phone. Leona sighed when she saw Alec follow Clary, the Lightwood standing in front of the redhead.

"Alec," Leona called out to him. Alec looked at her with a straight face. "Come here." Alec clenched his jaw before walking over to Leona. "What?"

"Let her breathe," Leona told him, glancing over his shoulder occasionally, careful to also keep an eye on Clary during their conversation.

"Let her bre-- she snuck out," Alec gestured at Clary. "Valentine's roaming around and she left the Institute. It's dangerous." He told Leona firmly. "Not to mention, it's my job to keep an eye on her." He glanced at Clary.

"Our." Leona corrected him causing the Lightwood to look at her in confusion.

"What?"

"Our job, Alec," Leona told him with a soft expression. "You and me, not just you."

Alec sighed at her words before looking around again. "Yeah." He said absentmindedly.

"I mean it, Alec." Leona hit his arm gently, making him look at her. "You need to stop carrying the burden for everything."

"I know we haven't been saying eye to eye lately, and I know a lot of shit was said, specifically by you." Alec bit his lip guiltily. "But when we're on the job, we're a team. All of that doesn't matter when we're out here, understand?"

Leona glanced at Alec after her small speech to see him nod at her words.

The two stood in silence for a moment before Leona sighed. "Look, we found her so let's just keep an eye on her from here on out, okay?"

Alec pressed his lips together firmly. "Yeah, okay." The Lightwood walked back over to Clary. Leona shook her head in defeat before following him.

"I'm on my way to—" Leona heard Clary say as she walked over to them.

"Hang up," Alec told the girl stiffly. "That's it, we have to go. Right now."

Leona sighed before looking at Clary. "Please." She said gently, hoping the girl would listen to them if they used a gentler tone.

Clary let out a breath. "No, I'm on my way to the loft," Clary spoke into her phone staring at the two Shadowhunters in front of her.

Leona ran her hand through her hair, knowing she was soon going to be looking after Clary and Simon, knowing without a doubt that he was on the other side of that phone call. "There's something there that I think could help me find my mother."

Leona heard Simon yell over the phone before Clary said, "I'm fine. I'm with Leona and Alec."

The brunette sighed before snapping to get Clary's attention. "No, Simon, you've been through enough already." The redhead looked at Leona to see the brunette tap her wrist, gesturing for her to hurry up. Clary nodded before finally hanging up the phone.