Chapter 71

Leona felt that with the amount of times she had rolled her eyes that night, they'd get permanently stuck at the back of her head. She cursed silently in her head as she held firmly onto Camille as they, Simon, and Clary tried to make their way out of the Hotel Demort without getting caught.

"Okay," Simon whispered before opening the door, the girls following him out.

Clary sighed glancing at the windows outside of the room, "Simon, it's 6:00 AM. The sun's almost up."

Simon nodded as he watched the exits of the room. "No problem. We'll go downstairs and take the tunnels out. Come on."

They follow Simon for a moment before stopping in their tracks.

"Going somewhere?" Raphael said appearing from behind the wall, a few vampires following behind him.

Leona bit her lip, guilt on her conscience that she tried not to show. She could feel Camille grin from beside her, aware of the Shadowhunter's inner turmoil.

"Raphael," Camille spoke.

"You should have stayed put," Raphael pointed at the vampire causing Camille to hiss at him. Leona swiftly brought out her dragger to the vampire's neck, quickly causing her to calm down. Leona huffed before putting the weapon away.

"I'm disappointed in you," Rapheal told Simon before glancing at Leona. "And you."

Leona forced herself to steady her heartbeat and met her, soon to be ex, friend's eyes.

"I thought we were friends. I thought we respected each other," Raphael said with a hint of betrayal in his tone.

"I'm sorry," Leona told him, forcing herself to keep a blank expression. "I'm doing what needs to be done." She couldn't help but think about how Clave like she sounded. It made her skin crawl.

At her words, Raphael let out an amused scoff. "Typical Shadowhunter, only looking out for yourselves. I thought you were different."

"I am," Leona quietly argued.

"From where I'm standing, you're exactly like the rest of them," Raphael said causing Leona to swallow at his words, knowing that one way or another, the vamp was right.

" I– I guess it's too late to put her back in the box?" Simon stammered, drawing the attention to him. Leona let out a breath at the topic shift.

"I'm afraid so. Our alliance is finished." Raphael announced, glancing at Leona before focusing back on Simon and Camille. "The Accords may prohibit killing mundanes, but they say nothing about sunburned vampires." Raphael and the group of vampires behind him began to back Leona and the group toward the windows.

"Simon's betrayed us, just as Camille did. They deserve the same fate." He turned his head to address the other vampires. "Adios. Kill them."

Leona grabbed her dagger, ready to fight back as the vampires ran toward them. Luckily, before Leona needed to do anything the wall broke causing sunlight to shine through, separating the vampires from Simon, Camille, and the Shadowhunters.

Leona turned her head and let out a laugh as she saw the source of the breakage.

"Seriously, guys?" Leona watched as Isabelle watched towards Rapheal. "Typical vampire, always underestimating a Shadowhunter."

"Come on, go now," Leona said to Simon, Clary, and Camille as Isabelle exchanged her last words with Rapheal. The brunette quickly pushed them into the direction of the tunnels and the group entered as Isabelle followed them in.

Camille sighed as they all began walking through the tunnels, her voice causing Leona to roll her eyes once again. "I think I'd have been better off just staying in the coffin."

"But you didn't. We got you out." Clary replied annoyed.

"Technically, I got you out," Isabelle called out from behind Leona.

"I'd put your ass back in there if we didn't need you." Leona huffed causing Camille to chuckle.

"Yeah, your friendship with Raphael is gone now. I hope it's worth it." Camille taunted Leona but before the shadowhunter could reply, Clary stepped in.

"Tell us where the book is," Clary demanded, knowing that Camille just wanted a reaction from Leona.

"Patience, my dear–" Camille said coyly causing Leona to let out a groan of annoyance before the group came to a stop at her words.

"Enough! Just because we got you out doesn't mean I won't kill you right here." Clary threatened. "Or Leona will do it. Out of all of us, it's her patience that's running out the most."

Leona nodded at her words with a shrug.

"There's still one more thing I require of, um..." Leona watched as Camille pointed at Simon, clearly not remembering his name. She rolled her eyes once again.

"Simon," Simon reminded her deadpannedly.

"A Writ of Transmutation," Camille said causing Leona to look at her with another huff.

"What the hell is that?" Simon questioned.

"A document stating you asked her to turn you into a vampire," Isabelle informed the newly turned vampire before looking at Leona with a face full of annoyance at what Camille was asking.

"Pushing off all of the broken rules and irresponsibility she caused by turning you without your consent," Leona said crossing her arms as she eyed Camille in disgust.

"Signed and sealed in your blood, of course." Camille smiled at Simon, unfazed by the looks Isabelle and Leona were giving her.

"Haven't you had enough of my blood?" Simon asked her in disbelief.

"Never. And I definitely don't want the Clave to falsely accuse me of killing mundanes." Camille told him causing Leona to look away in disdain.

"You want Simon to pardon you? No way." Clary spoke up outraged as she approached Camille, pointing her serpah blade at her. "You killed Simon. The least we could do is return the favor."

"And yet, the second I go up in smoke so does any hope of you finding your precious book." Camille reminded Clary causing Leona to clench her jaw, making eye contact with Isabelle as the girls understood that Camille had them right where she wanted them.

Leona watched as Simon gently held Clary back, his eyes on Camille.

"It's okay," Simon told his friend causing Leona to sigh in pity. She hated that Simon would never be able to get justice for what happened to him.

"So where do we get this document, huh? I can't imagine you have many friends left." Clary asked angrily as she looked at Camille, the vampire smiling in victory.

"I know a guy," Camille smirked before walking ahead of the group as Leona let out a curse.

"I've never wanted to kill someone more," Leona said with a groan.

Isabelle patted her friend's shoulder in sympathy. "I know, me either."

And without a choice, the group hesitantly followed Camille as she led the rest of the way.