Chapter 4 {Edited}

The brunette sat at the bar waiting for Isabelle, who was late for their night off. The Lovelace girl knew she was no doubt getting lucky in exchange and groaned at the fact that Isabelle gave her no notice beforehand.

Leona sighed, twirling her drink with her straw. She was going to give Isabelle a few more minutes just in case but then she was out of there.

"I can't believe she's making me wait here by myself." Leona cursed under her breath unaware of a figure walking towards her. "I'll snap all of her high heels I swear. Those glittery ones that I hate too, oh when I get my hands on—"

A laugh stopped Leona from her rant as she looked up in surprise, "Something funny to you?"

"No sorry I just—" He let out a chuckle. "He told me you had a temper."

Leona raised her eyebrows at the guy in front of her before sitting up straight. "And who might you be?" She turned to face him, leaning her elbow against the bar.

"Sorry, I thought Jace would've mentioned me." He said and Leona took a moment to look at him.

The man standing in front of her had brown hair sitting perfectly on the top of his head and the girl couldn't help but wonder how he had gotten it to look so soft. His brown eyes were sharp but soft as he stared at her, a smirk painted on his face, but he stood a respective distance from her, not wanting to cross a line.

"You're Jace's friend," Leona exclaimed, a little too loudly causing others to look at her. She smiled sheepishly before continuing. "Jace always told us about your hair. Sorry, I forgot your name."

The brown-haired guy laughed, swiping his fingers through his hair before holding out his hand, "I'm Michael Dearborn."

"From an old Shadowhunter family, I see." Leona smiled and shook his hand. "I'm Leona Lovelace."

"Pleasure to meet you." Michael grinned at her before looking around.

Leona took a sip of her drink. "If you're looking for Jace, I'm pretty sure I saw him leaving with a pretty eager Seelie."

"Ah." The man clicked his tongue. "Guess it's just me for the night then," Michael said, gesturing at the bartender.

"Would you like to sit?" Leona asked him, nodding to the empty seat next to her. "I think Isabelle's ditched me for the same reason."

"You'd trust a stranger after a minute of talking?"

Leona grinned as she moved her jacket to the side revealing a small dagger. "You're not a complete stranger so I'll take my chances."

"I wouldn't think that you'd keep that on you on your night off, especially with the Institute being so close," Michael said nodding at the bartender in thanks when he received his drink.

Leona let out a laugh. "You could never be too careful, plus weapons are a girl's best friend."

"Pretty and dangerous," Michael smirked.

Leona shook her head, a slight blush on her face. "Flirting will get you nowhere Jace's friend. I know all of that blonde's tricks which means I know yours. So, are you gonna accept my offer or?"

Michael shook his head at the brunette's bluntness before flashing a genuine smile at her, his smirk nowhere in sight as he dropped his flirtatious act. He nodded before taking a seat.

"I'd like that."

End of flashback

Leona shivered as the cool night breeze brushed against her skin as she got out of the van. The girl had forgotten her jacket back at the institute, so focused on what they were about to do that she had left it behind.