Chapter 7 {Edited}

"Hello, my dearest friend Isabelle who totally didn't ditch me on our only official night out for the month," Leona sarcastically sighed, causing Isabelle to give her an apologetic smile. "Are you going to at least tell me who you were with last night that you couldn't text me beforehand?"

Leona and Isabelle sat at a table in one of the rooms of the Institute, rifling through old books as they brushed up on their Shadowhunter knowledge. Truthfully, Leona wasn't mad at her friend for leaving her last minute, they'd all bailed on each other before with no harsh feelings.

As for their night off, the girls usually sneaked off on their own after missions, so Leona wasn't bothered by missing a night out with Isabelle. If anything, the brunette was curious about who Isabelle had spent the night with.

"Hmm, just a warlock from the club that we bumped into on one of our missions," Isabelle said with a sly grin. "Sorry, it was unexpected. I had given him my number before and he called wanting to hang out and..."

Isabelle tapped her nails onto the table in front of them. "Who am I to refuse someone who wants to pamper me for a night."

"Hang out," Leona repeated warningly looking at the girl sitting across from her. "Isabelle, you're too young for hanging out—what pampering—what---"

Isabelle raised a hand to stop Leona, who looked like she was about to have a heart attack. "Oh my god, not that mom."

Leona looked at Isabelle with a deadpan expression.

"It was a date, a last-minute date that I should've texted you to let you know about," Isabelle told her with a wince. "I'm sorry, I wasn't...it wasn't like that."

Leona let out a sigh. "I don't want you to think I'm babying you, okay? But you and me, we have two years on each other. I just want to look out for you, you're like a sister to me."

Isabelle looked at Leona with a smile. "Better you than my brother."

"Please I don't talk to your brother unless it's for work, but I know for a fact that he wouldn't want to touch the topic of your dating life with a ten-foot pole," Leona said with a snicker.

"Dating life? Who's dating?"

The girls look over to the entrance of the room to see Jace and Michael walking towards them. Leona looked at Michael in curiosity. He looked just as good as he did last night, something Leona hated to admit.

They had talked for hours until the bar owner had told them that they were closing up for the night. Leona bit back a smile at the memory. Michael truly felt easy to talk to, and before last night,

Leona hadn't given anyone the time of day. But Michael, Michael was different. She didn't know how but she felt it.

"No one is dating," Isabelle huffed, pushing her book away and breaking Leona out of her thoughts. "It was one date."

"Aww Iz, look at you, coming out of your shell." Jace teased.

"Don't be an ass," Isabelle said with a pout as the blonde ruffled her hair.

"Michael, what are you doing here?" Leona asked, interested in why the Shadowhunter was at their Institute. She had remembered him saying that he was from another state and was curious about his sudden arrival.

"You two know each other?" Isabelle asked in confusion before she got up to shake Michael's hand, introducing herself.

Jace had told them about Michael on multiple occasions, the duo having met when Jace went to his Institute for a follow-up on one of their missions. The team had only heard stories about the blonde's mysterious friend, so it was great that they were finally able to meet him.