Chapter 14

Days went on and on, I lost track of time. Kept myself busy so I wouldn't have time to think about my poor life decisions that turns into monster at night that bites me right on my ass. It was hard not to think about her. The last time Billie and I had the most minimal interaction was the first time I looked at someone and felt as though I've met the person I would want to spend the rest of my days with. I may be fooling myself for thinking it was an interaction at all. Our eyes just met and nothing more. I tried going after her, scrambling on my feet to ran as fast as I could to the fire exit behind the building and climb those flight of stairs but in the midst of it I realized that I did this, I was the one who told her to keep our distance a day after she told me she was in love with me. I was selfishly thinking, holding a grudge over a woman who did nothing but to care for me.

Here I am, a coward bailing when things get hard. At the moment I thought it was a wise decision, for her and for me. I thought I saved her life from the jeopardy but the truth I was only running away from the damage it would cost me and to her life. I didn't prevent it, this isn't even the right thing because I'm only running away. I'm a runner.

For the recent days, I spent it at the library either catching of on what I was missing in class and making up for all of it and tutoring freshmen students who wanted to ace their subjects and go advanced. It was great, I was earning my own money. Library was my sanctuary, that's until gossips about Billie's husband, William, spread around like a wildfire that even in the library everybody was talking about it. The commotion outside the building was about him, the press just wanted Billie's statement and reaction.

He was very well respected lawyer, he made his name known for dating Billie Dean Howard who is now a famous celebrity. It is funny how they even chose to live in an apartment building that wasn't even a fit for their lifestyle, everywhere you look around is cheap and the plumbing is bad although their apartment is the most expensive one in the whole building.

Also it turns out, William was charged with assault and battery for beating up a cop over a speeding ticket under the influence of alcohol and is now being held by the police but that's not all, there was an allegation that William has another family which makes him an adulterer. I wonder sometimes why God even let him breathe, he could snap his fingers and boom, a ten wheeler truck appeared out of nowhere crushing William's precious face and body, a perfect way to die for an adulterer and manipulative person who has been so unkind all his life to his wife.

I was so mad, God forgive me for me unmerciful thoughts... I just couldn't bear it. By the time I picked up all my courage and go talk to Billie, she was gone. Billie had moved out of the apartment 501.

"The reason why she blacked out is because she's been injected the wrong type of insulin but she's safe now okay? We'll keep your kid monitored closely. Do you want to see her?" Fished out of my own thoughts, I nodded as I follow the Doctor into my niece's room.

"Listen, accidents like this happens all the time, it's not your fault and it doesn't make you a bad parent I advi-"

"Oh no, she's not my kid. I mean I love her like my own but she's my niece. I was babysitting her, after my sister left just a few minutes later she passed out." Not taking my eyes off of my niece, I walk toward the hospital bed and watch her closely, taking her tiny hand in mine.

"Thank you for taking care of her, Dr..."

"Robbins. Dr Robbins. I will head out now but I'll be back to personally check on her later. If something goes wrong or you need anything just the red button on the side of her bed and a nurse will come to your aid." She spared a dimpled grin before leaving us alone.

As it gets dark, I check for any messages, I have sent a text to Alice more than once but I still haven't heard anything from her neither from her husband. Do they care at all? Looking up, Julie's still in deep peaceful slumber. About to fall into my own slumber soft knocks erupted from the door, "For the love of God, Alice you- oh, Dr. Robbins, I'm sorry." Apologetically, I look at her and wave it off with a smile, her free hand diving to the pocket of her white coat and taking out a chocolate pudding. "It's not much but kids love chocolate pudding." She smiles, placing the pudding on the bedside table.

"I like the cat on your coat, it's cute." Her hand traces the kitty patch on her lab coat and smiles, "It holds my charms." She wink. After a few minutes checking on Julie and writing something on her chart I was relieved with the good news. "Well her vitals are fine, and all is good. You'll be able to take her home tomorrow morning."

"Thank you, Dr. Robbins." With a final wink she has left once again, presumably to do rounds on her patients.

__

As another day blossoms, I get up walk my way to the kitchen to have a quick breakfast, it's a simple routine I quite developed through the recent days, I didn't have to wait for my alarm to wake me up or procrastinate in bed until the minutes I have left to get ready for school is twenty minutes. I'm trying to be productive here, it makes my brain healthy and occupied.

Checking my keys and contemplating what else I have missed to put in my bag, my eyes darted themselves on the black door across the hall, the memories flashing briefly. It wouldn't hurt to send a message, right? Taking my phone out and searching for her name on my contact list. Hey, can we talk? That's stupid, my thumb pressed the backspace button on the screen. I'm worried, I have always been. I'm still your friend you know. With a deep breath and one eye peering on my screen I hit send. I look at the green bubble that contains my message, reading it over and over again. I'm still stupid.

As I was walking, saving myself a few bucks on my way to school a red car slows down beside me, my heart race expecting it's the woman who I have been dying to see but as the window roll down and I see her dimpled smile my anticipation shriveled. "(y/n), hey. Where you heading to?"

"School."

"Oh, then hop in I'll be glad to drop of you off." She said in the sweetest tone there is that made me feel like the most awful person if I declined her offer so even though I have ample time in my hands I enter the car. Fastening the seatbelt out of muscle memory and my eyes looking outside, my mouth agape as my eyes marveling on her face, making sure it is her behind the glass wall inside the café, sipping her coffee. Holy crap.

A/N: what's up motherfuckers with mommy issues. im back (a little)Yeah yeah, I haven't updated in ages. But tada, a new chapter. And no, this is not a crossover, I am only borrowing dr. robbins. I hope you enjoyed this little update!