Chapter 17

The sight of those two parallel lines on the stick had made Billie nauseous, the ground below her feet felt unbalanced. The thoughts in her mind were too loud. How did this happen? "How could you do this to me?" She whispered, holding herself against the sink in her ensuite. "Isn't this what you've always wanted? A child?" William was nowhere in sight but the voice, his voice sounded ever so near that resulted for her skin to crawl and shiver. She looked behind her, there was nothing but darkness.

Her breaths heaved, Billie was suffocating. "I never wanted your child!" Pain. Pain was everywhere. An agonizing pain pierced right through her womb. Feeling of something wet trickling down her legs, Billie looked down. She was standing in the pool of her blood a dead infant laying on the stone cold floor between her feet.

"Mrs Howard." Gasping, Billie's eyes pierced through the veil of her nightmare, seeing Cindy in front of her instead of William. As her senses started to flow in and becoming more clear, Billie then realized how hard she had been clutching on her blouse just right above her abdomen.

"I...um, I just received Gery's text, he's waiting for us now." Nod a word was uttered, Billie left the venue in silence. Cindy, however, talked too much about how stunning Billie had been in all of her photos, she was so fascinated that it clouded her mind, disabling her to sense Billie's eerie silence.

Last night was uneasy for the woman, hence the exhaustion that was written all over her face. She woke up in a break of cold sweat, and pounding heart, her own room felt unfamiliar for her, she couldn't sense the comfort and safety it once brought her. The only thing that got her through the night was a few glasses of whiskey that she gave herself, no ice needed just plain room temperature alcohol.

Her nightmares were often signals, like a vision that occurred in her sleep. William. Baby. Miscarriage. Death. Evil. Her mind was too loud for her own good.

"Just stop! Stop talking for goodness' sake!" snapped by the woman looking heavily pissed. Her shoulders then dropped, eyes shut close with her fingers combing through the locks of her golden hair before she sighed with all her breath. Guiltily, Billie apologized for her behaviour, sulking in her seat with her eyes averted outside the window but unfocused. She knew she couldn't divert her anger to anyone, not even Cindy who, for most of the time, was very undesirable due to her loud mouth and never ending stories to tell or unsolicited opinions.

Billie was a burnt candle, her flame had consumed most of her and the only thing that kept it alive with the littleness of the burnt wick and the melted wax pooling around it. Her thoughts had consumed her and her arrogance to deal with them had caught up leaving her no choice but to face her own fear.

In the quietness of her home, (y/n) stood in the middle of her living room in deep contemplation about moving furniture around her apartment for a newer look as she wanted to make the place a real home. What she had wasn't much, just the plain old sofa that came with the place and another one she bought out of a thrift store earlier this day. She thought it was too good to pass on. The quality was still superb the only issue was the stain of hair colour on the couch's armrest.

With all her strength she moved it against the wall, and the other one facing it. Like the older woman, her mind was bombarded too, she had her own baggage to carry. She took a swift flight out of the woman's place a little while after they got Billie's groceries settled. She was immensely spooked. Their relationship may be a little less complicated now but that didn't changed the fact that Billie was still a married woman, yes they had sorted out each other's fear and doubts about their relationship but the individual terrors that they had and refused to speak of, they hadn't solved it yet to make a huge move in their life that could either be a bad or decision.(y/n) just couldn't risk it. Not yet.