Alone Together - I

CHAPTER 21

As sudden as William's unexpected departure to the afterlife was, Billie had nothing holding off against him, the woman had never wanted it to be this way but if it was God's will to free her this way then she could be only thankful and sorry for the devastation it brought to William's family.

She had been married to him for ten years, and in those ten years Billie had never felt the genuine joy she was experiencing right now. Of course, she felt bad for him, she felt bad for those people who cared for him, but selfishly speaking-she was relieved for herself and that made her feel like an awful person but it was what it was, she could not deny herself that.

She was only person who probably knew what kind of man William was. When people received the news about the deceased husband, friend, colleague and mentor, everybody shed their tears and reach out to Billie showing their endless support for her.

When William was released, they had a closed casket burial for three days so that his family could mourn for him. On the fourth day his body was taken to be cremated. It was the littlest thing she could do for him. When she stood next to his corpse in the morgue, she heard the ocean along with William's laugh, it sounded oddly pure almost nothing that resembled who William was for her. Perhaps it was William in his young age enjoying the salty air and sound of the ocean, basking in the glory of the sun in his trunks and making sand castles.

For one week his urn sat in Billie's living room next to ash of her father and today was the day Billie would fulfil his wish.

"Are you done?" she asked, checking if the girl had packed everything she needed for the long drive. She found her having troubles with her white sundress, "I can't tie the straps." She complained letting the straps fall down.

While Billie tied them diagonally on her back creating an x instead of the lame parallel straps. (y/n) can't keep the thought to herself and her curiosity urged her to voice out the words, "I thought we're dumping him in the Miami beach next week?" Billie chuckled with the word the young lady used.

Shaking her head playfully she answered, "Yeah well change of plans. He wanted to be dumped in San Diego today." Billie made sure she had her car keys in her pocket.

"Why today? Is it his birthday or the day you two got married?"

"No." Billie motioned for the girl to take the urn from the shelf. She carefully held in her arms like an infant, afraid to drop it. "Then why?"

"It's the death anniversary of his twin."

"He had a brother? Did you meet him?"

"Not until his burial. His mother told me about him. The boy drowned in San Diego Beach. And now William wishes to be with his brother."

"Woah-okay. I'm done. We can go now."

Billie spared one more glance around the place making sure they didn't leave anything on or plugged. After the thorough check, she took their bag slinging both over her shoulders and grabbing her purse from the counter.

It was going to be a long drive to San Diego.

_____

Over around thirty minutes on the road, the silence had become consistent, Billie liked it she was focused and relaxed she needed it for the long drive. But then, the eyes the she could feel burning on her skin each time the young girl looked at her in a certain manner, she was getting distracted.

The girl was hesitant to ask a question but it was evident that the words were already on the tip of her tongue so Billie snapped softly, she spared her a quick glance and then back on the road. "Say it."