Chapter 8

Billie brought you to a restaurant nearby for early dinner while the sun was still up. A part of you would like to consider it as a date but there was this part of your brain that scolded you not to be foolish and think of it as that way because Billie was only being nice. Yeah sure.

All the time your eyes were alert, roaming around trying to catch any prying eyes, fortunately people were busy minding their own lives. That was the big difference when it comes to the people of this city compared to those back home.

Billie Dean was unsure if it was magic or just your charm that was softening her mood every time your presence was around. The woman couldn't help to devour on the sight of your face especially when you began admiring things that you slowly slipped out from the reality, the faces you made, how you lip were caught between your teeth and how you don't notice your hair flying right in front of your face just because you were so awestruck over something.

Billie liked the way your eyes glimmered under the sun because it brought out the best of the colour and made them so much alive, she liked how your face burn after being complimented and you trying to act like you were tough sometimes. She adored you too much it scared her.

Now she watched you walk ahead of her, wearing a sundress she bought for you in the streets of New Orleans. The streaks of sun pouring on your skin bringing that gleaming effect. You thought people was looking at celebrity behind you but the woman was certain that these people were looking at you. You were just too humble and diffident to accept it.

You turned around to her with a sweet smile on display, Billie returned the same enthusiastic energy, giggling as she took your hand in hers unable to resist not holding you. "Probably shouldn't have bought you the dress." She purred while eyeing down the white sundress you had on that showcased your cleavage, neck and clavicles. It was indeed a picture perfect sight.

With a frown on your face, you looked at her wondering why she regretted it all of a sudden.

The medium cackled, tucking a piece of hair behind your ear. She fondled with you cheek and kept her eyes locked on you, "Because people stares at you too much, honey and I don't like it." Her face was so close to yours you almost closed your eyes for the awaiting kiss but it didn't happen. Billie's gaze shifting to the details of your face, amused to see that your cheeks were now burning brighter than ever. You couldn't really handle the kind words especially coming from her.

Your eyes settled down on the pavement as you two continued to walk hand in hand. Billie's hand in yours made you feel a lot of things all at once and it was incredibly overwhelming for you, bringing your gazes up to watch her, Billie looked far from the troubles of the world while as for you, you felt as though the world would crumble. It was here again, attacking you from the inside. What if everyone recognized who she was then snap a picture of the both of you that could ruin her reputation. You could ruin her.

So much as you enjoyed the softness and warmth that engulfed your hand you pulled it away, too sudden that Billie was caught off guard. Not daring to look at her, you hugged yourself and walked way ahead of her like how it once was. The distance would help, you thought but as quick as you let go of her hand you felt unsafe and exposed.

Reaching the hotel suite, you poured yourself a half-full glass of liquor that was left in the counter when Billie took a drink before heading out. You were never this anxious that you thought the only thing could calm you was a glass of strong whiskey.

Billie watched how your face twisted in disgust before she saw the unscrewed bottle of whiskey and a glass in your hand. When you felt her glancing at you, you tried to fight the bitterness that stung your tongue and the burning down your throat squeaking "I'm okay." Before swallowing the remaining taste and coughing out your lungs. It was terrible.