Chapter 15

When Billie moved out of the place she shared with William for just a short time, she decided to go back to her own apartment. It was easy considering the fact that this place was more of a home than the one she and William bought, she didn't have to drag anything from that place, even the pair of few shoes, luxury bags and clothes were still in their walk in closet, nicely arranged. Those meant nothing to her, they were just props, William was a fool not to realize that not once Billie had ever wore those clothes he bought for her, neither the expensive jewelries he gave her as a gift to make up for his bad behaviour and loss of time- not that Billie ever mind that, she was even thankful that they only meet once or twice a week.

Billie vaguely remembered when was the last time William had treated her right where nobody was around. He was so good at pretending, deceiving people into thinking their marriage was to be envied. That they had the perfect marriage. It was even a delight for her when the police contacted her to inform that William was in the custody of L.A.P.D for driving under the influence and was charged with battery and assault for beating up a cop. Sounding shock, Billie tried to sound remorseful for the victim, desperate to sound like any other wife would have been for such a reckless act done by their saint husbands.

As the call immediately ended, she had a triumphant smile curving on her lip as strange as it seemed to be, Billie Dean felt the freedom. She knew this was the beginning of William's downfall and she could not let her name get smeared on by the dirt her husband had dug for his own grave.

"Mrs Howard, I am Cindy, I will be filling in for Claire's temporary absence. I am very pleased to work with you, Ma'am." The redhead said in a perky tone, grinning widely to show her enthusiasm hoping her boss would find it endearing and would let her work for her.

Billie Dean, who was in her white robe having coffee in the kitchen as she sat on the stool and reading the document that was sent to her last night by her own attorney, quickly stripped of her eyes from the paper and to see the girl, seeing much less to her expectation about the new assistant she forced a smile and then continued on reading. The smile she gave away was enough for a squeal to pour out of the girl's mouth. She rolled her eyes but kept it to herself.

"What's in it for me today?" expecting that the new girl had taken care of her schedule from Claire. Nervously the girl shuffled through her bag.

"I-um, you have... um an interview? With... let me check, just give me a second." Sighing, Billie knew this was a terrible pick. "I'm sorry please don't fire me. I'm just really nervous."

"Cancel the interview, I've said it before I am not doing it. If you want to keep this job, you better sort yourself out first and don't stammer when you're talking to me, you sound incompetent. Got it?" Afraid to tumbling off her own tongue, Cindy nodded looking tensed with teary eyes she was ready to cry in the moment.

"Have you had your breakfast?" Billie asked looking at the girl once more, this took her back to the memory where Claire used to be this girl. "No Ma'am." She must had been up all night, trying to get herself prepared for this job. "Well that explains it. There's food in the fridge heat up whichever you like. I'm going to shower."

Down the lobby, (y/n) was arguing with the woman at the front desk, "I've told you! I've been here before. She knows me!"

"I am very sorry, we can't grant access to your request. Mrs Howard strictly told us herself that she wouldn't be accepting anyone at the moment." The employee patiently replied. "Can't you give her a call? Like before, you tell her it's me. Please."

In the penthouse, Cindy heated herself some leftover pasta while cleaning the dishes her boss had left in the counter as she hums a song. Billie wrapped herself with the crimson robe then towel dried her damp hair. Swiping the mirror with her palm from the moisture that built up, she looked at her reflection. Her eyes were less puffy, her skin looked unblemished, she looked healthy and happy and...