Work Work and Daughter

Four Years Later

A smile appeared on her lips seeing Pamuk's picture on her desk. She grew up to be an adorable four- years old.Her birthday and their tenth anniversary were due in five more months. She couldn't believe she will soon complete decade of her married life. pamuk turning five left her bittersweet. She grew up soon, the only complaint sibel had about ber daughter. She threw an air kiss in the direction of the photo frame where pamuk posed under the sun in a swimsuit , Ramo got her the year before.

 She threw an air kiss in the direction of the photo frame where pamuk posed under the sun in a swimsuit , Ramo got her the year before

"Pamuk" she stood up from the chair. She looked at the clock. It was turning three. She took her phone out of her pocket and dialed Ramo's number.
Hello?
Ramo plz pick Pamuk up from her kindergarten. I almost forgot that the after the school program in her school is closed for the day. I would have gone if I didn't have a meeting in two hours. I got to prepared. She explained.
Two hours? That's to be late to start time for a meeting. He spoke.
I know but i got no other schedule.Do one thing. Bring her here. I will talk to the daycare on the fourth floor of our office to care for her today. You may then leave for your office and i will fetch her on my home way.
But Gülüm, i have work too. Now i will have to adjust or postpone the meetings if needed ask someone at home.
Bak no one at home, I can't trouble Anne at this age. Please see if you can. Go really quick and drop her in the reception at my office. I will be there okay?
I have work too. The most i can do is to drop her around the corner of the pastry shop a mile away from your office. The signal right after that will take a lot of time may be you can come there to pick her up?
Sibel sighed. She had to prepare for the meeting but she wouldn't want ramo to miss his work either. She agreed to the compromise .
.......
The four year old ran to her father as soon as she caught of him getting out his car. He knelt down and spread his arms to take her in a hug.
"Baba" you know i was so scared when teacher said not afterschool today. I thought you and mumma will forget just like i did. " Baba never forgets" at this age. Few of her words were still somewhat unclear. Luckily ramo and Sibel understood everything she meant. He picked her up in his arms and made her sit on the back seat of the car. She still used a large sized child's car owning her small frame.
How's your day? He asked.
I am sad. You know mavi fought with Fetos during races.They both are my friends. If i talk to fetos, mavi feels bad, if i talk to mavi, fetos feels bad. Poor pamuk has nothing to do. She sat with her arms cross. Her puffy cheeks said rather she was angry than sad.
Don't worry. They will patchup soon, Ramo assured her.
What does that mean?
I mean they will become friends soon. But this isn't fair. You're talking about fighting and sad things since you came. Tell me about something happy.
Happy? Then there is new boy in out class. He is such a chicken. Always cries for his mumma. She chuckled.
"Pamuk" his tone changed to be much more strict. Where did you learn that word?
I saw in movie. I forgot in which. Came her reply.
Don't use it again, he said.
Okay.
He almost reached the corner of the pastry shop they decided to meet. Okay now we will meet your mumma.you will go with her to her office.
And you? Pamuk replied.
I will leave for mine.
No! Can you not come with me to Mumma's office?
But why?
Because every time i go there, Mumma find a reason to scold me and you're not there to scold mumma. I don't like it.
I never scold your mumma, he said to his defence.
You should, she said.
He stopped the car. They had reached. Sibel's car was visible afar. As soon as she parked hers alongside the curb, he helped pamuk come out of his car.
Pamuk who was complaining about sibel seconds ago, ran to her mother and hugged her tightly. Sibel bent down a little and showered the little girl cheeks with kisses.
Ramo chuckled seeing them bond together and went near them. He caressed pamuk's hair while his eyes were fixed on sibel. Pamuk held onto her mumma tighter.
A second ago mam was complaining about Mumma dearest and now it's all hugs and kisses. He said teasingly.
Sibel smiled looking down at pamuk who hid her face in sibel's belly.
Baba.. liar.. liar
La- havle
Hey don't disturb my Princess. Sibel interjected, you must be running late for office.
"O-haa" he bent down to reach pamuk's ears" see you princess " after kissing her both cheeks, Ramo left.
Sibel waved at him alongside Pamuk. Once his car was no longer visible, sibel made pamuk sit in her car. In the ride,pamuk repeated her dilemma between mavi and fetos followed by the new boy who cried for his mother. She was talkative sweetheart to her parents. However, every time she met someone new, she would turn quite.
Pamuk, Darling I will be leaving you with Dilber aunty in the day care.Be nice to her, be a good girl and do as she tell you. I will pick you up as soon as my work is over, sibel said once they reached preetty close to the office.
But Mumma, i dont like dilber aunty, pamuk remarked.
Last time you said you love her. Sibel said.
That was three months ago, pat came her reply.
You know you have taken upon your father. Sibel received a shrug as a response.
.........
Pamuk ran to play with her group of friends as soon as she entered the park with her parents. It was ritual to bring her to the park every Saturday morning. Sibel had developed the habit of early to sleep, early to rise in pamuk, so she would grow up to be wise. The saying was her favourite at the moment. Having a bunch of children her age to play with came as an added bonus to her.
Where are you lost? Ramo asked sibel.
They have been sitting on the bench for a long time. Ramo was looking at pamuk playing with others while Sibel looked down to her lap.
She placed her employee Resignation letter on the bench. She had it with her since she received. The shock and stress was distributing enough to not let it go. He picked it up and asked about the same.
" Resignation letter " she wants to care for her son instead of working full time, she replied.
Nothing new, he sighed. I get these often than you think. Now if they have their priorities right, what can we say?
Think about it though. Is choosing baby over work wrong?Sibel asked, i mean we have enrolled pamuk in school where daycare is an option. We are lucky enough to afford it as well. Not everyone has the luxury or the heart to do so.Then why?
What do you mean why? Ramo asked.
I mean, things look stable from afar. If they aren't, we take care of it like we did yesterday. Sometimes though, I question myself. So many mothers are choosing their children over their career. So i am being selfish by keeping my work and daughter on the same pedestal?
Ramo crossed his arms across his chest and looked down. As soon as he cumulated his thoughts, he scooted closer to sibel and placed the envelope away from them.
Sibel i am working full time too. There is no doubt that i love pamuk the most in the world. Then i am being selfish by running my business instead of staying at home with pamuk?
You don't understand , she spoke with a perturbed face, believe it or not, in our society taking care of babies is women's task. No one is judging you if you stay away from pamuk from eight hours of your day or a three months- long business trip. They will judge me. Even worse, i am judging myself.
But why? Ramo replied.
I don't know.
What type of answer is that?
I really don't know, that's why i am sharing it with you, she looked up to see pamuk having fun with her friends.
Look at her gülüm,does she deserve more attention than i am willing to give?
"I prefer you do one thing over the other. But it's entirely your decision which I refuse to influence. So I won't say a word. Just remember that we are equals though she calls you mumma and me Baba, Ramo dropped a hint for her.
Mumma she came running to the two of them. Sibel stood up followed by ramo. Pamuk grabbed sibel's left hand with her right and ramo's right with her left.
As pamuk skipped from time to time, the family of three made their  way out of the garden.

..........
The End