Thirty Nine

"That's the last of the red roses, next are the white ones. Where would you like them, beautiful?"

Nine days left into her stay at the fancy abode and the dreaded day of love was fast approaching. Valentine's Day, the one holiday that Rika could not understand for the life of her.

"I think he wants them in the hallway and the formal living room." She said unsurely, in a baking apron and flour over her rosy cheeks.

"You got it." The delivery man muttered, turning to tell the rest of the men where to put them. She stood, waiting as she watched the insane display be made right before her very eyes.

Curious ocean blue eyes skimmed over her dazed face. Stood in a grey delivery suit and a dark grey hat, the man tucked his clipboard under his arms.

"Do I gotta be worried about competition here?" His accent slid off his tongue like melted butter. "Hell, even I'm impressed with how many roses this guy has ordered. He's won Valentines this year, that's for sure."

Rika gave him a tight-lipped smile, "My boss is quite clearly an extra man, these are for his daughters." She explained.

He let out a dramatic groan, putting a hand to his heart. "Thank god. For a minute, I thought I was gonna have to complete with Slater Ivanov for your attention. Would have no chance there."

Although he was teasing, she couldn't help but wonder if he knew the truth.

She shifted on her feet, resting her body against the door frame. "Would you like to come inside for some cupcakes? It looks like you'll be here a while." she offered, gesturing to her messy apron. "and I need a taste tester."

No, she didn't. She wanted the company, but she wouldn't tell him that.

"What kind of cupcakes are we talking?"

"The chocolate on chocolate kind."

His vibrant eyes flashed with something indescribable, he licked his lips. "Lead the way, trouble."

Archie muttered something incoherent to one of his coworkers, placing the clipboard in their hands.

"You've got a grown man excited to try some cupcakes." He started to say, in that same teasing tone of his. "How often do you hear that?"

She rose a brow, entering the vacated kitchen at a steady pace. Her head turned to catch the genuine expression on his good-looking face.

She beamed at him with a toothy white grin and revealed the delectable treats in front of them. "You're never too old for cupcakes."

She had tried her best. It was a rather endearing sight to behold, a tray of perfectly made chocolate cupcakes sat in the centre of the countertop. Hues of coloured frosting overwhelmed his eyes.

Pushing the tray towards him, she motioned for him to take one of the cakes. She watched as he unwrapped it carefully, her gaze sparked with attentiveness.

"Well?" Eagerly awaiting his response, the nerves fluttering around in her stomach failed to settle down.

He took his first bite, a chocolate overload serenading his tastebuds. A small hum of pleasure escaped him.

"It's good but I feel like it's missing something important." Archie's voice trailed away once he had finished his mouthful.

Her eyebrows scrunched up and she stared at the ground. She was waiting for his explanation, tucking her hands behind her back.