iv. the prodigal daughter

chapter four ━ give peace a chanceseason six, episode seven

chapter four give peace a chance
season six, episode seven

❝ i'm guessing you have
to retire now. ❞

Aliya's hands wrapped around her fourth cup of coffee of the morning, taking deep sips every few seconds until the mug was drained of all of the brown liquid. It was the strongest coffee Aliya had ever tasted but she needed it, seeing as she only got three hours sleep and the worldwide requirement was in fact seven to eight. How was she meant to go to work with three hours sleep? Besides, it's not her fault Criminal Minds was getting exciting at 12pm. Anyone who had seen Spencer Reid's eyes would understand.

Her hands started to tremor around the mug so she placed it back down onto the safety of the counter, cautious of the many mug fatalities she had to deal with in the past.

She moved towards the coffee machine in a sleep deprived trance — fully prepared to make another cup before Mer's footsteps clattered across the floor in limps. She recently donated her liver to her alcoholic father and had been ordered to stay at home, away from work. Which she described as 'pure torture' and asked the rest of her housemates and Cristina to fill her in every night about what had happened that day.

It had turned into one of Aliya's favourite parts of the day, mainly due to the bribery in the form of chocolate chip cookies.

"Aliya!" The Grey woman shouted from the kitchen doorway, rushing over and prying the coffee forcefully from her hands, clutching it to her chest like a life jacket, holding it out of Aliya's grasp.

"Hey!" Aliya snapped in protest, reacting by thrusting her hands in front of her in an attempt to snatch back the mug.

"Your hands are shaking! No more coffee." Meredith ordered, pointing a finger at Aliya's face before walking off, coffee bag in hand and slipping it on the back of the top shelf. "How do you expect to perform surgery like that? One wrong move." She tutted, slamming the cupboard door.

"But I need it! It's a necessity!" Aliya watched her with widened eyes, crossing her arms to hide her shaking hands. "You do realise I'm taller than you and can reach that shelf if I wanted." Aliya commented.

Though, Meredith turned to her, giving her a disapproving look. Instead, the brunette grinned, turning to the next best thing. Aliya unwrapped a waffle from the cupboard and began eating it cold.

"How many cups?" Mer inquired with a smirk on her face. She grabbed a glass and filled it with water, taking her pills out of her pocket and swallowing them.

"Four." Aliya muttered. Mer's head snapped up and Aliya guiltily nibbled on the corner of the waffle, looking at her through her eyelashes. "Plus two."

"In how many hours?" She placed down her water with a sigh, trying to fight off a smirk with all of her might. The Levine woman threw her another smile, showing all rows of shiny bright teeth. "Minutes?"