xiii. she's not a very good liar

chapter thirteen ━ sympathy for the parentsseason six, episode nineteen

chapter thirteen sympathy for the parents
season six, episode nineteen

❝ so you must be the
brother of this asshole. ❞

Meredith once told Aliya that psychologists believe that every aspect of our lives and all of our thought processes and behaviour patterns were the direct result of our relationship to our parents, and that every relationship we have is another cosmic version of that first relationship.

This very fact entered Aliya's brain occasionally, usually at the points in her life where she felt deja vu and that a particular interaction seemed to reflect the same hostility she received from her own mother.

Or the same hostility she gave her own mother.

Which then led to Aliya's train of thought about how much parents influence their children, both if they're present in their lives or absent. And, at the end of the day, we are just products of our parents.

That brought Aliya sat on the bathroom floor, ignoring how unsanitary it was, with her best friend in the shower, a magazine flopped across her lap carelessly, with a coffee mug in her hand, reading out the quiz on page thirty two which was titled 'What Nail Polish Colour Are You Based On Your Love Life?' in an incredibly busy bright font.

Seeing as the colour options were only black, pink, light blue and red, she was really questioning the validity of this very quiz.

She slurped on her coffee, reading question four out loud. "Oh, this is a good one. Are your past relationships affected by the way your parents displayed their love?" She huffed, rustling the pages of the magazine. "A) Yes, definitely, B) Not even a little bit, C) I see some aspects it could've impacted past relationships and D) I don't know my parents' relationship that well. "

"D." Alex responded, quickly, through the shower screen.

Aliya tilted her head to the side, as if contemplating in a serious manner over this question just to get her true nail polish shade.

And, the fact she knew Alex was a solid A but it was the early morning and Alex was the most irritable at that time, like Aliya was the most irritable at night time, which may make some may wonder how they could possibly make it as friends.

"Are there ways you can select more than one answer?" Aliya asked, gnawing on her lip.

"I don't think that's the way quizzes work." He explained, the shower muffling his voice slightly.