Him or me ? Part five

A/N: I'm very sorry that I have to make Teresa the 'enemy' in these parts but it just adds up with the story line.

_____________
After finally seeing my friends again, they explained how they ended up running into me and how they found out about Wicked.

Apparently something caused one of the storage tanks in the back of the facility to blow up, which led to another huge explosion, since many vehicles were parked close by.

Thus the whole building caught fire and all guards were ordered to help stopping the flames that were spreading towards the laboratories.

The shots that I've heard came from the gun that Thomas stole from a guard's changing room.

They used it to shoot the security that were escorting them back to their room when they were informed about the fire.

Just thinking about it- it's incredible how we managed to see each other again without getting killed first. The others would be proud of us.

I hope you all found your peace.

Back in the glade when we were all still living together, I don't think that any of us would've dreamed of coming this far.
But here we are. Still alive and reunited.
At least most of us. One person is missing.

"Where's Teresa?"

Please say she's gone. Please say she's gone. Please say she's gone.

"We couldn't find her on our way here. Passing the guards without getting noticed is quite troublesome. And either way if it weren't for Thomas here, we would've left her behind. After what she did to you.",
Newt frowns.

I can't help but choke out a little laugh. Ruffling his hair I give him a tired but honest smile- his words giving me reassurance that I can always count on my friends.

"Let's keep moving. It's dangerous for us to just stay here and chat. We can talk while we find a safer place." Minho passes me and nudges me and the others to run along.

We pick up the pace and I find myself running next to Thomas. I send him a glare and he avoids eye contact.

"I gotta say I'm not surprised. But why exactly are we even considering searching for Teresa? She literally shot me. Are there any more signals you need to see that she betrayed me? Us?" I choose the offensive.

He shakes his head and looks at me apologetically.
"I'm sorry. I know what she did is unforgivable and her behavior is really strange but I know that she is not a bad person. The memories I have of her are completely different from how she acts right now."

I scoff.

That's all the more reason to leave her behind.

"There must be a reason as to why Teresa shot you instead of defending you. I'm sure of it. And to get our answers, we have to find her first. Please don't make this any more difficult by trying to persuade the others to just leave without her. We need her."

I'm about to loose it. Again.

"Are you serious? I don't think you understand how much harder this girl has made all of this for us by firing that gun. We could've escaped that day but she crossed the line."

I can see from the corner of my eye that Newt keeps staring worriedly at the both of us but I brush it off.

"It's like being on a suicide mission running around in this area without a single clue where Teresa could be when we could be escaping from this shitty place.", I argue, trying to convince him.

The others are staying silent and I'm really grateful for that. All of us are exhausted and and are probably gonna be dehydrated sooner than later. We cannot take any more risks than we already do.

"Thomas, I beg of you. Come to your senses. All we have left is us, there's no way I'll let our family run into the arms of this organization. And if the others don't stand up to your selfish plan, then I'll just have to. Wicked will not get us a second time."

My lungs are starting to burn from all the running and talking. I cannot endure this much longer. I'm quite out of shape, gotta admit it.

"Y/N, I won't leave without her." Thomas' decision is final and his stern look makes me stop in my tracks, causing Newt and Fry to bump into me.
They mumble a quick apology and stumble a bit back.
Thomas and Minho, who have stopped as well, look at me alarmed.

"We don't have time for-"

"Shut it. Thomas, I think you didn't understand me properly. I will not follow you nor will I help you getting to her. I will take the others and leave for good. I don't care how much you like Teresa or how much she means to you. I am aware of your situation but we have too much to risk. We'll leave this place now." I look around for confirmation. Newt, Fry, Minho and Winston nod at me. Relieved, I crack a little smile.

Thomas seems devastated by our decision but sighs and shakes his head. It's 5 against 1.

"Alright. Good luck to you then."

He is insane. Did Teresa cast some kind of spell on him?

"Please Thomas, just come with us." Newt begs.

"You'll get killed here, man. She is not worth it. And I'm saying this with the best intentions." Minho adds.

"I'm sorry, I can't. I can't just leave her."

There's a big lump forming in my throat and my heart aches when I hear him say those words.
I don't know how this boy managed to win over my heart so easily back in the glade. What I know is that's he's now shattering it within seconds.

But it is for the best, I guess.

Smiling bitterly, I try to keep myself from saying anything else and accept his decision.
I feel tears building up and I look down at my shoes.

The others brush past me and reluctantly bid Thomas their goodbyes until only I'm left.

I really want to properly say goodbye to him but it hurts. My chest feels like it's about to burst and I clench my fists.

"Y/N, I -" Thomas starts.

"Save it. Go rescue your little girlfriend."

I walk past him, not daring to look at him once more. Minho sends me a knowing glare.
As if he wants to say: You'll regret leaving like this.

But I don't care. I follow the others along the hallway and don't turn around for him even though I feel Thomas' gaze on my back.

This will not end well.