Alby- not every lovestory has a happy end (TMR)

Y/N P.O.V

It has been raining for hours and Minho is still in the Maze with Alby. I walk up and down nervously and keep looking at the gates. To be honest, I'm more worried about Alby than Minho. Sure they are both good friends of mine but I have learned to love Alby in the last 3 years. I know it sounds corny but I have fallen in love with our strong leader. He doesn't seem to like anybody, but when you know him longer, you can see the soft side of him. I didn't see him lately because he's been avoiding me. Even this morning he didn't even say goodbye when he ran with Minho into the Maze. Newt told me later in the garden that this shank was planning to take a closer look at a sector. But that was several hours ago and I'm really worried. Nervously I sigh and run my hand through my hair. "What if they don't make it in time, Newt?" I ask and turn to the blond boy. He is leaning against a tree trunk and has his arms crossed in front of his chest. "They'll make it. Trust me, Minho will get Alby through the maze safely." he replies and swallows. "Or at least as safely as possible with the Grieves and bloody walls." Newt adds. I look at him unhappily and he opens his arms. "Come here, Y/N." he says and the very next moment I hug him. He always calms me down, however he manages it.
A little later it stops raining and we all gather at the open gates. The old familiar sound of the stone walls moving towards each other sounds and I feel the tears in my eyes. Then suddenly I can see a movement at the end of the long corridor. It is Minho and Alby but something is wrong. Minho supports him, but it seems as if Alby is not conscious. They won't make it. All the screams around me fall silent for a moment and I take a deep breath before I start running. Behind me Newt desperately calls my name but I don't turn around. I feel the cold walls on my arms as I leave the last meter behind me and stumble into the Maze. I take a deep breath before I pick myself up and run to Minho who is gasping for air. "What the hell are you doing here, Y/N?" he finally asks in amazement. "What does it look like? I can't leave you alone. Now help me with Alby!" I say and start to straighten up the unconscious boy. I feel a pain, deep inside me, when I see him like this. Minho says nothing more and together we carry Alby through the maze to look for a safe place. Finally we find a small niche and the three of us squeeze into it. After a moment of silence, I ask Minho the question I've been asking myself in my head the whole time. "What happened Minho?"
The runner doesn't look at me and lowers his head "We'd already left Sector 4 when suddenly a siren sounded and the walls collapsed. I'd never experienced that before and wasn't prepared for it. We were both running for our lives but a wall just missed us and we were thrown away. I was lucky but Alby's head hit one of the stone walls and he hasn't woken up since." Minho answers quietly. A tear runs down my cheek and I hold Alby's hand. Why does it has to be Alby? Why didn't I stop him from running into the Maze? Suddenly my eyes close and I fall asleep.

When I wake up, the sky is already brighter and I see that Minho is also sleeping. Then my eyes fall on Alby, whose eyes are slightly open and he smiles weakly at me. I stare at him speechlessly and he grins. "Hey Y/N. What are you doing here? And where are we here?" he asks. I lack the words and I just hug him, inhale his familiar scent. "You damn shuck-face!" I say in a tearful voice and laugh in relief. "We're in the Maze, the gates must open soon. I couldn't leave you and Minho alone with the Grievers." I add and smile happily at him. "Y/N, I have something to tell you. In case we don't make it out of here. I-", Alby is interrupted by Minho, who wakes up grumbling. The runner notices Alby too after a short time and greets him joyfully. After a small discussion we crawl out of the nishe and look around. Alby cannot run without help yet but it works somehow. Together we start walking towards the Glade and after an hour we are almost there. Minho already runs ahead to look, if he can find any Griever. "It is only a few hundred meters more. We are almost home." I say quietly to Alby and try to breathe calmly. Suddenly I hear an animal screeching behind us. My blood is freezing in my veins and I turn my head slowly to see what's behind us. At the end of the corridor is a Griever. I have never seen one but I know that I don't want to meet it. As fast as I can, I drag Alby beside me but the clacking of the metal legs comes closer and closer. What happens then, I will never forgive myself. The Griever reaches out with his grappling arm and catches Alby who is already injured. I cannot react fast enough and the creature stabs him with a spike in his chest. I scream. That's all I can do just as Alby's lifeless body falls to the ground and the Griever disappears. I stumble to our leader and press my hand on the wound. Alby looks at me and smiles weakly. He takes my hand in his and I sob loudly. "I'm... I'm so sorry, Alby. We'll make it back. Do you hear me? We're nearly there." I stammer between sobs. He tilts his head slightly and gives me a loving look. "I love you, Y/N. I've always loved you, Y/N. And I want you to-" he begins, gasping for breath. Tirelessly tears run down my cheeks. "...that you are happy. Remember me..." Alby pleads me and I nod. "I will never forget you. I love you too." I whisper. Then he closes his eyes and breathes one last time. I hold him close, knowing that he's in a better place now. I cry and cry until finally I am pulled away from his dead body. It's Minho who carries me to the Glade. I don't react and sink exhausted into his arms. The tears don't stop and I can hardly breathe. Soon I realize that we reach the Glade and I am surrounded by countless boys who look at me with concern and I recognize Newt. I still sob and look at my hands, which are full of Alby's blood. "What happened, Y/N? " asks Newt and I gasp for air. "He was caught by a Griever." Minho answers for me and I feel something breaking inside me. Nothing will ever be the same again. Alby isn't here anymore.

-------------
1223 words 🙃