The boys are staring at you (TST)

Y/N P.O.V

3 days ago we escaped from W.C.K.D. and since then we have been wandering through the desert in search of the Right Arm. After we made it out of the Maze, only Newt, Frypan, Thomas, Minho, Teresa, Winston and me from group A were left. Aris, the last one who had to stay in the supposedly safe hiding place of group B, helped us to escape. Unfortunately Teresa betrayed us at Ratman and we left her behind. In the Glade we were best friends. Probably also because we were the only girls between all the shanks. I still can't believe it and it breaks my heart that she betrayed us. When we escaped I got shot in the shoulder and I know I have to be careful. Ratman told me in interrogation that I was the only one in the group who isn't immune to the virus. I haven't been able to tell the others because it's just hard enough for everyone else. The sun is setting already, though it's afternoon and everyone is exhausted. The pain in my shoulder is unbearable and I lean on a stone standing near a destroyed building. Breathing heavily, I lay my head down on the top of my big backpack. The group becomes aware of me and everyone stops. With a worried look Newt comes to me and I smile tortured. "I'll be all right in a moment. I am sorry to hold up the group. Maybe it would be better if you go on without me." I say, looking at my scratched hands. His hand rests on my shoulder. I look up and stare into Newt's brown eyes. He looks at me with a little smile on his lips and shakes his head. "How could you even think that we would leave you behind ? We'll make it to the right arm together and someone can help you there." he says and his words trigger a warm feeling in my stomach. He has always managed to cheer us up and he always sees the best in each of us. That's why I've always called him our glue that holds us all together. "He's right. We stick together till the end, remember? "Thomas says. "Come on Y/N, it's not far now. The mountains begin behind the next dune. We just have to make it there. Then everyone can rest." says Minho and I nod. With a painful groan I tighten the backpack a bit and continue walking next to Newt.

*time skip- a few hours later*

We have finally reached the mountains and a few meters ahead of us is a big rocky outcrop. We set up camp underneath it and I put my backpack down in relief. Carefully I take off my jacket and stare in horror at the huge bloodstain decorating my shirt. I pull the shirt a little to the side. The bandage is no longer white but completely red. "Shit, that looks bloody bad Y/N. It's getting worse, isn't it?" asks a voice with a British accent.
Desperately I nod and Newt crouches next to me. I try to loosen the bandage but draw in the air as I move my arm. "Hey, let me do that" Newt says and I give up with a sigh. Carefully the Brit unwraps the bandage and cleans the wound. As the alcohol touches my skin, I have to suppress a scream. Silent tears run down my cheeks and I turn my head away from Newt so that he doesn't see me crying. I don't want to seem weak. Finally he is done and I put the blood-soaked shirt back over it. "You should put on a different shirt. Otherwise the wound might get infected when it opens again." the blond boy advises me. I look at him gratefully and get up. Together we go to the other guys who made a little bonfire. "If you don't mind, I'll go to sleep now. Wake me up if there are any problems." I say and the others wish me good night.
I snuggle into my sleeping bag and pull the blanket up to my nose and fall into a deep, painless sleep.

Newt P.O.V.
I sit down with the others at the campfire after Y/N has laid down. "How is she doing?" Minho asks anxiously. I shake my head. "Although she won't admit it, she's in a lot of pain. If she doesn't get help soon, I don't know if she'll be able to go on." I say and look depressed into the fire. The others are as worried as I am. Y/N was the sunshine back then in the glade and has made the lifes of all of us a lot better. "I never thought I would ever say this but I miss the glade. And I miss the time without running away from W.C.K.D., the other boys and the big bonfires in honor of the new greenie." says Frypan and I can see tears glistening in his eyes. We talk about the old times for a while and laugh about the embarrassing stories of the first months. At some point we all go to sleep and forget for a moment all the pain and worries.

* time skip- the next morning *
Thomas P.O.V.

I wake up the others and pack up my things. Y/N is still sleeping. Just when I want to wake her up, she turns around and pulls the blanket higher. Her hair hangs tangled in her face and her cheeks are rosy. I go to the others and sit with them on a big stone. Aris looks at me questioningly. "Where is Y/N?"
I point to the sleeping girl who is hardly recognizable because her face is covered by the blanket. "Doesn't she look bloody cute?" Newt asks and we all look at Y/N. At this moment she wakes up and sits up. Sleepy, she rubs her eyes and yawns. Then she notices us and looks at us questioningly. "What is it? Do I have something on my face? What have you done?" she asks and looks at us all. Playfully angry she frowns at us but then she has to sneeze and we all start to laugh. "Even when you try to be angry, you are cute." says Minho while he tries to breathe normally again.
She blushes and grabs her stuff. Together we eat breakfast and then make our way to find the Right Arm.
We couldn't know at that time that Y/N was infected and we did everything we could to save her later.

-------------
1108 words 💫