Gally- hug you one more time (part 1) (TMR)

Y/N P.O.V.

Restlessly I lie in my hammock. Something is different this night. Otherwise you can always hear the terrible noises of the Grievers but today everything is quiet. I have been living here in the Glade for exactly 689 days. How I do know that? Because I'm counting the days, while hoping every damn day to get out of here. That the runners will find a way out. Maybe we have a chance with the greenie Thomas but nobody is sure if we can ever make it out of here. Gally can't stand him. I have no idea why but he finds Thomas strange and lets him feel it. At the thought of Gally my heart jumps higher. The keeper of the builders was the first one to talk to me when I woke up as the only girl in the box. At first he was skeptical about me. But when I became a builder, he considered me a friend and not an enemy. Although he is not very talkative, I may have fallen in love with him a little bit. I am the only one Gally listens to. He doesn't show it, but he is afraid too. Afraid of being trapped in the Glade forever...
A shattering scream makes me startle. I almost fell out of my hammock. Quickly I put on my shoes and run in the direction from where the scream came. Some Gladers have also woken up and run with torches towards the north gates. My breath falters - the gates are still open, although the sun has long already set. My pulse accelerates and I turn around, looking for Gally. Suddenly I get tossed around my shoulders and look into the shiny eyes of Gally. He pushes me close to him, which gives me a pleasant feeling. "Stay behind me Y/N." he says nervous and stares at the open gates. First I want to protest but the floating noise of the west gates makes me silence. Then the south and east gates open. "What is happening here?" I ask whispering and look around in panic. Then I recognize the Grievers in the dark corridor behind the gates. I've never seen these slimy, disgusting robotic animals before, but they look more terrible than I imagined. "Hide! All of you, hide!" Newt shouts, and not a second later we all sprint towards the Homestead. Because Newt limps through his injury, he's not so fast and I run slower to pull him with me. The others have already reached the big hut and are waiting for us so that the second in command and I can still get in. When I look behind me I see how one of the Grievers comes dangerously close to us and wants to reach for Newt with his grab arm. With all my strength I push him into the hut and the Griever grabs me. Screaming I am thrown through the air and land a few meters away. The Griever approaches me again and drives out one of his spikes. "No..no, no, no! Please!" I beg and retreat a little. The robot spider lifts the leg with the spike and before it can hurt me, a spear lands in his slippery skin. The creature screams and turns away from me.
Feeling a little dizzy I get myself up and a stabbing pain goes through my leg. Gally approaches me and helps me up. As I put my right foot on, I squeeze my eyes. Worried, the blonde looks at me. "What hurts?" he asks nervously and tries to support me as we flee from the Griever. "I- I can't walk. Probably I broke my leg when the Griever threw me to the ground." I say with my teeth clenched. Without further ado Gally lifts me up in bridal style and runs with me on his arm into the Homestead. There he puts me down and gives me a quick kiss on the mouth. Shocked, I look at him and he smiles. "I'll be right back. Stay here and hide." he says and runs out of the hut. Newt comes to me and helps me on one of the beds. The other Gladers that are hiding here too make room for me and I drop onto the bed exhausted. Then I close my eyes and everything turns black.

I wake up caused of a movement next to me. Sleepy, I turn around and see Gally lying next to me. Well, he's sitting on a chair but his upper body is lying on the bed. Smiling, I look at him. Until someone clears his throat. Frightened, I look up and see Newt just shaking his head, standing at the end of the small room. "Stop staring at him and wake him up. We have to see what's left of the Glade." he says in a low voice and I just roll my eyes. The Brit leaves the room sighing. When else do I get the chance to watch my crush? I don't think about waking him up. He looks so cute. A loud bang get me away from my thoughts and I look around searching. Newt stands in front of the door and hits two pans on each other. "Get up! All of you!" he shouts through the whole Homestead. Gally and the other boys who have been hiding with us wake up and look around grumbling. Gally smiles at me tiredly. "Are you coming?" he asks and holds out his hand. Probably he forgot the kiss from last night or he just wants to repress it. Carefully I put my right foot on the cool wooden floor and a slight pain extends to my knee. I look desperately at Gally because we are the last ones still in the room. "Hey, are you okay?" he asks me and I nod. But as soon as I take a step, my right leg bends and I fall to the ground. But before I touch it, two strong arms hold me tight. "Okay, so obviously it doesn't work. You let me help you now and we'll take you to Jeff and Clint." he says decisively. Sighing, I let him support me and limp out of the hut. Once outside, the air stays away. Everything is destroyed and the last fires are extinguished. A few animals run away in panic from two gladers trying to catch them. Injured boys are provisionally cared for at the small lake at the edge of the glade and I see Newt and Alby discussing. As fast as possible Gally takes me to the Med Jacks Jeff and Clint. The two are obviously totally overstrained with the situation and I feel bad because they have another problem with me that they have to solve. But when the pain comes again, I'm glad when the two boys help me.
They stabilize my leg and give me something against the pain. Gratefully I limp on Gally's side to one of the tree trunks and settle down panting. Even if you don't think it's possible - limping across the Glade is a lot harder than expected. Worried, Gally looks at me. I take his hand and cross my fingers with his. "Gally...because of the kiss yesterday..." I start and avoid eye contact. "Yes, that was stupid of me. I'm sorry, I don't know what made me do it either. Probably it was just the thought that you could die. I- I wanted to kiss you once before I might never have had the chance again." he says and becomes quieter and quieter towards the end. My heart is beating like crazy and I look into his eyes. Before I can reply, I hear Thomas' voice. Apparently he's just been in the Maze with Minho and they both look really done. There's dirt and probably blood on their clothes everywhere. I notice Gally's hand cramping and I pat him on the shoulder. "Hey, easy, okay? Thomas and Minho may have finally found something to get us out of here." I try to convince him, but Gally just mumbles contemptuously and gets up. "Gally! Wait for me. You know I can't go alone." I whine and the blonde one turns around and helps me up. "It's alright. I am with you".

When I limp over the Glade with Gally's help, the other boys also come running to Minho and Thomas. Even before we reach them, I can already hear how they try to explain everything to Newt and Alby. "...and then we found the dead Griever. In it was the possible key that could get us out of here. Then on the way back we passed by the blades and a new sector opened up. Do you understand? Through the sector we can leave the Maze!" Thomas ends excitedly. I can see Alby and Newt exchanging meaningful looks. They also want to leave the Glade as soon as possible.
"Okay, so if you're really sure that the sector leads outside, then everyone pack their bags." our leader orders. Happily I look to Gally but he just stares angrily at Thomas. My joy disappears and I frown. "What's wrong Gal? Why aren't you happy?" I ask confused. He turns to me and pure hatred can be seen in his eyes. "Thomas. All this happened because of him. Since he appeared, bad things have happened to the Glade. And now I have to trust him blindly so that he will plunge us all into death." he says angrily. Speechless I look at him. He has never been to me like that before and that was also one of the things that makes him wonderful for me. Only me he always treated friendly and not as condescending as the other gladers. "Are you saying that you don't want to get out? Out of this klunk-place, out into freedom? Would you rather spend the rest of your life in the Glade?" I ask him angrily and push him a little away from me. Gally looks me straight in the eye and he radiates so much hate that it scares me. "The Glade is my home and I will not follow some Greenie who is probably one of the creators. If you want to go, do it. I won't stop you." he says coolly.
Apparently I don't know him as well as I thought. The idea of leaving the Glade without Gally brings tears to my eyes. I swallow and turn my face away so that he doesn't see how much I am affected by what has been said. "I hope you will be happy alone. Unlike you, I want to live and I can only do that out there. I'd rather die, while trying to escape than get up here every day for no reason." I say in a trembling voice, pushing Gally away from me. Despite the pain, I limp off to collect my things. If he think it would be better for him to stay, then it's okay for me.

*time skip- the next day*

I tried to avoid Gally as good as possible but during the morning I got a bad conscience. I don't want to go without him. I want him to come with us and maybe we can live the life we always dreamed of.
I quickly detach myself from my thoughts and get my little backpack. Inside there are some clothes, something to drink and eat and a note. You might be thinking that I'm weird but I've been collecting signatures from all the gladers since I got here. Every boy I've met has written his name on the sheet and I've kept it ever since. I made it for the semmingly impossible chance to get out of the Maze. Every glader had to carve his name on the wall and now that we are leaving it with the Glade, I always have the Gladers' names with me. Even the friends we have lost remain in our hearts and memories. Smiling, I leave the room and go out to the gates where all those who come with us on the journey have already gathered. Fortunately the Med Jacks still had some pain killers, which I accepted gratefully. Now I can walk for a few hours without pain. Newt hugs me as a greeting and I embrace Thomas and Minho too before we get ready. Sadly I look behind me, searching for Gally again but I can't see the former keeper of the builders. Newt puts one hand on my shoulder and looks at me apologetically. "I'm sorry Y/N. We have to go, otherwise we won't make it in time." he says and I turn away. It breaks my heart not even to have said goodbye to Gal. How much I would have liked to hug him just one more time...

--------
2150 words ❤