Minho- the new greenie (TMR)

Y/N P.O.V.

The siren announcing the new greenie sounds all over the glade and makes me jump again. Even though I have been living here for 5 months among some boys, I have not gotten used to it yet. After Alby I was the second glader sent up, then Newt, Gally, Zart, Frypan and today the new one. Unfortunately I am the only girl here but that could change now.

Curious I look through the only small window of the blood house outside towards the box where all the boys have already gathered. The alarm fades and as far as I can see Alby opens the elevator gates with Newt. I take a look at my little watch and sigh. My lunch break starts in half an hour so I will meet him- or her later. I cut off more strips of meat with the sharpest knife I own and wipe the blood off my once white apron. Until my shift is over, I feed the living animals behind the hut and slaughter a pig. My job is cruel but none of the other boys can or want to do it so this is up to me. Actually none of the shanks can see blood without throwing up or fainting - yes they are real little princesses sometimes. I don't have a problem with blood or guts, I'm pretty tough. Tensely I look at my watch - two more minutes and I'm done for now. I go behind the piled up bales of straw and fill a bucket with water when I hear the door of the big hut open. "That new greenie's pretty rude, don't you think?" I recognize Alby's deep voice immediately. "Yeah, he's a real slinthead and blows off one sarcastic remark after another but he seems to be brave. Maybe I can take him into the maze and make him my running partner. See what Y/N thinks of this boy." Newt replies and I come out from behind the straw pile. Emidiatly I am greeted by two high screams that the boys emit when they see me. "Ladies calm down! I'm not proud of my job either but shall I tell you how you look while you are working?" I say with a grin and shake my head. Newt is actually even paler than usual and Alby puts his right hand on his chest as if he just had a heart attack. "Bloody hell! Y/N, you shucking shuckface look like a murderer! Stop being a buggin' creep for God's sake!" yells the British boy in his thick accent. I just chuckle and brush my hair to the side. "What do you want? I'm about to have a break so hurry up, because unlike you guys I've got a lot of work to do." I say while Alby seems to have calmed down again. "You can enjoy your break but we wanted to ask you if you want to meet the new Greenie?" our leader asks. I just shrug and frown. "Okay, but from what I've heard you say, he's not really great." I turn in while wiping my hands on a towel. "You better find it out by yourself.", he thinks for a moment before he continues, "How about scaring him a little, like a prank? He doesn't know anything about you but your job yet, and that you're the only girl. I think I speak for everyone when I say he deserves it." Newt says with a mischievous grin and I raise my eyebrows with interest.
I'm always ready for a good prank and love to scare the others so this is perfect for me. "Sounds good. Where is he now?" I ask with a smirk. "Kitchen." Alby replies and I quickly run over to the open hut.

I sneak in through the back door and take one of the smaller knives from my belt, which I still wear over my bloodstained apron. Frypan is chatting with the new guy and I hide near his table. "Is Y/N pretty? If so, does she have a boyfriend?" the unknown voice asks and I roll my eyes annoyed. Boys. "Yes she is pretty, everyone thinks she is wonderful and besides that she is quite tough. So don't even think about hurting her, you hear me, shank?" Fry replies slightly irritated. I mumble a silent "Aw" and get ready. As Frypan leaves the kitchen, I sneak up on the dark-haired boy. I stand behind him and tap him on the shoulder. As he turns around with a grin, I put on my psychopath-look and smile. "Well, hello greenie." my voice is sugar sweet but I have to look really horrible with all that blood on me because the Asian shank is losing all colour from his face and with a little scream he falls off the bench. I can't hold myself back anymore and break out in laughter. "Seriously, you guys should really worry about your girly screams." I say giggling and get a scathing look from the black-haired guy who is just picking himself up and knocking the dirt off his clothes. I hear clapping behind me and turn around to see the rest of the gladers applauding with a grin. "That was really necessary, the shuckface wouldn't stop babbling garbage." mumbles Gally and leaves with the others.
I go to the small sink in the kitchen and quickly wash off the blood, make a new braid and take off the apron. Then I take some of the food that Frypan has left for me and sit down at the table. "Minho..." mumbles the newbie, who still looks a bit lost. "What?" I ask as I chew on my bread. "My name... my name is Minho." he says louder and I smile. "Congratulations greenie, won't you sit down again?" I ask with a grin. Minho sits down hesitantly and looks at me in silence. "It's impolite to stare." I mumble and Minho smirks suddenly. "Not when you look at such a beautiful girl. Did it hurt-" I interrupt him and roll my eyes, "- when I fell from the sky? No, not really. I took the stairs from hell." I reply with a little smile on my lips and Minho laughs. "I like you Y/N. Do you think I could have a chance?" he asks and I make an innocent face. "Maybe." Then I get up and leave him sitting alone at the table.