23: Monstrous Beauty

"Wei Ying, where are you taking me?"

Wei Wuxian was laughing with undying glee as he dragged his brother and husband through Caiyi Town. "To the Caiyi River!"

"Why?"

"You'll see, keep shut and run!" Jiang Cheng shouted as he let his brother pull him away. Lan Xichen followed close behind, tall enough for mere strides to let him catch up with the short Mo-Xuanyu-form of Wei Wuxian.

When they arrived at the main deck to the river, a man nearby shouted "LOOK, IT'S XINGGUANG XIAN!"

The whole town ran out to wave. "Hello, everyone!" Wei Wuxian shouted back.

"XINGGUANG XIAN ARE YOU GOING TO TRANSFORM AGAIN?"

"Sure I am!"

"HURRAY!" 

"You've done it in here before?" Jiang Cheng asked.

"While Lan Zhan was asleep, some of my scales were damaged because of the wounds on my body. Had to heal and regrow them in the water so I tended to swim around in this river or that lake where we met the Aqua Demon decades ago."

"Scales?!" Lan Wangji goggled at his husband. Grinning, Wei Ying let go of their hands, tossed his black outer robe away and ran to the edge of the deck and dived into the water amid the townspeople's cheers. "A-YING!"

"Aish, shut up, he's alright," Jiang Cheng reassured him.

Just before Lan Zhan was about to run to the deck, the water's current shifted. Instead of rushing downwards, all at once, it began to swirl in a circular motion. Round and round, faster and faster, stronger and fiercer until a massive whirlpool was created. And then, out shot a humongous Kun Peng, flapping its tail lightly to bathe the younger Jade and Pride standing too close and soaring up into the sky. 

Lan Xichen, standing a good distance away because he understood his brother-in-law well, smirked at the soaked Jiang Cheng. 

Once high enough, it stretched its wings and shrieked out a tumultuous roar.

"DRAGON!" Children shouted as they ran out of their parent's grasps to watch.

"NO, IT'S A PHOENIX! SEE THE WINGS?"

"No, it's a DRAGON!"

"PHOENIX!"

"Issa FISHIE!!" One little boy clapped.

"HUH?!" The entire town laughed. How could such a massive, majestic beast be a mere fish? The Winged Kraken high above laughed as it swooped down into the water and swam to the deck, careful not to splash too much water should the town be washed away.

Lan Wangji gaped as he slowly walked to the deck. Two silver eyes gleamed and smiled back at him as he knelt by the riverside and held out his hand. The beast swam closer and nuzzled its jaw against the warm hand, before lifting its head, rolling out its tongue and lightly licking Lan Zhan's rosy lips. Ears turned pink, face blossomed into a smile as the town cheered louder and happier. "A-Ying?"

"Wuxian-di, if I remember right, that other Kun Peng could actually talk. You cut off his tongue?"

"Sure I can too!" Wei Wuxian laughed. His voice was deeper, darker, more of a growl than a laugh. "The only reason I don't is it tends to come out as a roar. A-Zhan?" He rubbed his mouth against Lan Zhan's neck.

"Mn?"

"I look and sound monstrous, eh?"

"Mn."

"What! You actually said it!" The tips of Wei Wuxian's mouth sunk in, a sign he was pouting — though it wasn't as visible through the scales.

"A monstrous beauty."