41: Trust Me, A-Huan

"A... A-Huan... Honey, what's wrong with you?" Jiang Cheng walked over and sat on the opposite edge of the bed.

But the instant he did, Lan Xichen curled himself up tighter, hugging his knees tight, peeking over his knees at the stranger sitting across him.

"A-Huan... Why don't you remember me? You remember everyone else... Why not me?"

Lan Xichen hugged his knees yet tighter and tighter, trembling fast.

Jiang Cheng nodded and stood, sat at the table and watched his fiancé.

Though...... well..... Lan Xichen no longer wore his ring.........

"A-Huan, do you remember Meilien?"

Lan Xichen was reluctant to answer. So Jiang Cheng opened the door and sent for his daughter.

Jiang Meilien ran in quickly. "Daddy!" She beamed, running to Lan Xichen. Her Jiang father had explained the situation to her days ago, so she started with the intimate call to see if Lan Xichen recognised her.

To both Jiangs' shock, Lan Xichen quickly uncurled himself and opened his arms wide. "My little angel!"

Jiang Cheng sighed with relief. "At least you remember her......"

"Daddy!" Meilien smiled, cuddling her father. "Daddy's better now?"

"Yes, I'm starting to recall things. Think I'm cured now, little angel," Xichen smiled, ruffling her hair.

Jiang Cheng gulped. That smile, how he'd longed to see it. Why won't he smile for me anymore? "A-Huan?"

Lan Xichen stilled again before reluctantly looking up.

"Don't you recognise me at all?"

Something about having his daughter in his arms made Lan Xichen strong enough to finally speak to Jiang Wanyin. "Sect Leader Jiang, of course, I know you."

Slap!

His own beloved coldly calling him Sect Leader Jiang was nothing better than a harsh slap on the face. Jiang Cheng actually felt a red-hot burn that followed right after those words. Albeit not on his face, but his heart, deep down in his chest. "Sect Leader Jiang? What bloody Sect Leader Jiang? That's not what you used to call me."

"Things have changed," Lan Xichen sourly muttered, looking away from the blazing hurt in Wanyin's wet eyes.

"Changed? What has changed?"

Lan Xichen bit his lip and looked at his daughter, stroking her head. "Sect Leader Jiang, stop questioning me."

"You're the only one that's changed here! You do remember Meilien, right?"

"I'll never forget her," Xichen smiled, pinching Meilien's cheeks. But Meilien was frowning. She didn't quite get what was going on with her fathers.

"Then why me? If you can remember her, then you should also remember she's our daughter–"

"My daughter!" Xichen quickly cuddled Meilien closer into his chest.

"Excuse me? I adopted her!"

"Don't care. Meilien, you'll stay with Daddy here, right?"

"Ah?" Meilien looked up at her father. "Daddy..."

"You won't?"

"I will, I will! But..."

"There, end of the story," Xichen announced, hugging his daughter closer to him.